RE: [FH] drug interaction?

  • Mary Sue Rubin
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2013
      Lee,

      It's good to know these things and I wish this type of information was more
      readily available.

      Here are some references, though the 3 drugs you listed are not mentioned.
      Calcium channel blockers are mentioned, but Benazepril is an ACE inhibitor.

      This mentions interaction with cardiac drugs, though no specifics.
      http://www.drugs.com/vet/cerenia-tablets.html

      This is from the prescribing instructions. PRECAUTIONS: The safe use of
      CERENIA Tablets has not been evaluated in dogs used for

      breeding, pregnant or lactating bitches, dogs with gastrointestinal
      obstruction, or dogs that

      have ingested toxins. Use with caution in dogs with hepatic dysfunction. Use
      with caution

      with other medications that are highly protein bound. The concomitant use of
      CERENIA with

      other protein bound drugs has not been studied in dogs. Commonly used
      protein bound

      drugs include NSAIDs, cardiac, anticonvulsant and behavioral medications.
      The influence of

      concomitant drugs that may inhibit metabolism of CERENIA has not

      been evaluated. Drug compatibility should be monitored in patients requiring
      adjunctive

      therapy.

      http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Product_Informat
      ion/veterinary/000106/WC500061374.pdf Section 4.5

      Cerenia should be used with caution in animals suffering from or with
      predisposition for cardiac diseases as maropitant has affinity to Ca- and
      K-ion channels. Increases of approximately 10% in the QT interval of the ECG
      were observed in a study on healthy beagle dogs administered 8 mg/kg orally;
      however, such an increase is unlikely to be of clinical significance.

      http://www.drugs.com/vet/cerenia-tablets-16-mg-can.html

      CERENIA Tablets should be used with caution in dogs with bradycardia or
      underlying heart disease since maropitant may increase the risk of
      arrhythmias.

      Veterinary drug database - http://www.drugs.com/vet/

      Mary Sue

      Message 2 of 4 , May 7, 2013
        Thank you Mary Sue,

        This is very interesting.  Thank you for the extensive research!  Last night I skipped it, and she ate quite a bit.  I've only re-instated it for 4 doses, (over 8days), so will probably stop it, and only use it occasionally, or if she has another vomiting episode.  It is really only for use as an anti emetic, but many crf folks like me have used it for nausea (at advice of vet).

        Thank you so much.

        -Lee and May

        Message 3 of 4 , May 13, 2013
          Just to follow up, I asked out cardiologist and he said he could find no interactions with her meds in the usual sources and that in his experience, he's never had an issue.

          So I'm going to keep using it as needed, but not regularly. And for now, she's eating fine enough on her own, with some supplementation.

          Though we had an 'episode' last night, but that's coming in another post...

          -Lee and May

          Re: drug interaction?
          Tue May 7, 2013 4:43 am (PDT) . Posted by:"r schu" rschu92