drug interaction?

  • r schu
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2013
      I've started giving May Cerenia again for nausea (crf), and think I remember reading somewhere, (can't find it on drug interactions (drugs.com), that it may interact with one of her heart meds. (lasix/benazepril,plavix).

      Does anyone know if there is an interaction or a reliable veterinary drug interaction site?

      Thank you!

      -Lee and May
    • Mary Sue Rubin
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2013
        Lee,

        It's good to know these things and I wish this type of information was more
        readily available.

        Here are some references, though the 3 drugs you listed are not mentioned.
        Calcium channel blockers are mentioned, but Benazepril is an ACE inhibitor.

        This mentions interaction with cardiac drugs, though no specifics.
        http://www.drugs.com/vet/cerenia-tablets.html

        This is from the prescribing instructions. PRECAUTIONS: The safe use of
        CERENIA Tablets has not been evaluated in dogs used for

        breeding, pregnant or lactating bitches, dogs with gastrointestinal
        obstruction, or dogs that

        have ingested toxins. Use with caution in dogs with hepatic dysfunction. Use
        with caution

        with other medications that are highly protein bound. The concomitant use of
        CERENIA with

        other protein bound drugs has not been studied in dogs. Commonly used
        protein bound

        drugs include NSAIDs, cardiac, anticonvulsant and behavioral medications.
        The influence of

        concomitant drugs that may inhibit metabolism of CERENIA has not

        been evaluated. Drug compatibility should be monitored in patients requiring
        adjunctive

        therapy.

        http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Product_Informat
        ion/veterinary/000106/WC500061374.pdf Section 4.5

        Cerenia should be used with caution in animals suffering from or with
        predisposition for cardiac diseases as maropitant has affinity to Ca- and
        K-ion channels. Increases of approximately 10% in the QT interval of the ECG
        were observed in a study on healthy beagle dogs administered 8 mg/kg orally;
        however, such an increase is unlikely to be of clinical significance.

        http://www.drugs.com/vet/cerenia-tablets-16-mg-can.html

        CERENIA Tablets should be used with caution in dogs with bradycardia or
        underlying heart disease since maropitant may increase the risk of
        arrhythmias.

        Veterinary drug database - http://www.drugs.com/vet/

        Mary Sue

        Message 3 of 4 , May 7, 2013
          Thank you Mary Sue,

          This is very interesting.  Thank you for the extensive research!  Last night I skipped it, and she ate quite a bit.  I've only re-instated it for 4 doses, (over 8days), so will probably stop it, and only use it occasionally, or if she has another vomiting episode.  It is really only for use as an anti emetic, but many crf folks like me have used it for nausea (at advice of vet).

          Thank you so much.

          -Lee and May

          Message 4 of 4 , May 13, 2013
            Just to follow up, I asked out cardiologist and he said he could find no interactions with her meds in the usual sources and that in his experience, he's never had an issue.

            So I'm going to keep using it as needed, but not regularly. And for now, she's eating fine enough on her own, with some supplementation.

            Though we had an 'episode' last night, but that's coming in another post...

            -Lee and May

            Re: drug interaction?
            Tue May 7, 2013 4:43 am (PDT) . Posted by:"r schu" rschu92