Re: Staci's mom: Can Amlodipine cause fluid retention?

  • acrocat@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2013
      Hi Tami

      I'm sorry to hear of Staci's bad turn. Amlodipine is not associated with fluid retention in cats; in fact, it can help cats with underlying heart disease + hypertension, as hypertension is bad for the heart.

      Rather than getting a BP machine for home, why not see if you can get a veterinary technician to come and measure the pressure at home?

      Best,
      Adrianna

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, tamitamco@... wrote:

      > Friends,
      >
      > Can Amlodipine cause fluid retention?
      >
      > I feel that amlodipine may have caused a town turn with my cat Staci. (inappetance, then constipation, then visible fluid retention, bloating and fluid pouch) I have not heard anyone else believe that amlodipine caused fluid retention. I did read something today about amlodipine causing fluid retention in people.
      >
      > So, Can Amlodipine cause fluid retention?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Take care,
      > Tami, Staci's mom

    • tamitamco
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6, 2013
        Adrianna,

        Amlodipine side effects:
        Yes, it does seem that many are using Amlodipine without any side effects. Interesting, as I found edema "fluid retention" listed as a side-effect for amlodipine in several sites. The puffiness in her hind legs had never been seenin her before the amlodipine. I am just glad we switched to benazepril.

        Home vet for blood pressure:
        Yes, great idea to have a vet come. It's just that the home vet is actually more expensive. For the home visit, it is $35 for the Bp test, and $85 for the visit. (home vet total: $120) At my vets office, the Bp test is $50, and the visit is $60. (my vet total $50 or $110.) I can do just the Bp test, but would probably have the vet check her since she has been in a critical period now.

        Thanks,
        Tami, Staci's mom