Staci's mom: restarting fluids, 25 or 50ml, daily?

  • tamitamco
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2013
      Friends,

      So, what guidelines would you give for restarting fluids after an over hydration episode?

      The vet recommends restarting at 50 ml per day. I was considering starting with less, either 25 ml per day or 50 every other day. Any feedback or suggestions?

      Staci's situation: She is a 20 year old crf cat. She was on 150 ml per day. She has not gotten fluids for 10 days as she has been retaining fluids in her chest, belly, and fluid pouch. Her bloating is mostly gone. She lost just over 1 pound in 9 days. She is now eating, pooping, and purring great. The pouch is mostly gone (a pinchful of pouch-ish skin). Maybe she was stretched from that pound of extra weight, poor girl. We just switched to benazepril from amlodipine. It seemed that amlodipine was giving her side effects. I had said that I felt she would tell me by drinking more. ( is that an indicator? I would think) In the last 24 hours, she increased her drinking from 8oz per day to 11oz per day. That seemed pretty clear that she has increased fluid needs.

      Would you go with 25 or 50ml to start? Should i consider every other day to start? So, what have been your experiences with restarting fluids? Has anyone used the quantity of water consumed by your cat to regulate fluids?

      Thanks,
      Tami, Staci's mom
    • Cindy Reese
      Message 2 of 3 , May 5, 2013
        One benefit/use of amlodipine for cats is to slow the heart rate a bit and that helps to lower bp as well. The vet who prescribed amlodipine for Misty RIzty also said it would strengthen her heart but did not explain exactly what she meant by that.

        Yes - you should use kitty's water consumption to gauge fluid but you should rely more on typical signs of dehydration or over hydration. As to the amount, 25 ML sounds like such a tiny amount as to be almost ineffective. Of course it depends on the size of the cat but if he was getting 150 ML then I would think 50 would be a more reasonable quantity.

        I would also encourage you to maintain a detailed weight chart (if you are not already doing so) so that you will see if there is any buildup occurring before you get to crisis mode. I use a postal scale and when some kitty is having an episode I may weight her 10 times a day to get a good idea of the ups and downs. I will weigh before and after fluids. Then I know exactly how much weight 50 ML adds. I will sneak her on the scale after a poop to see how much that changes things.

        Cindy in AZ

      • tamitamco
        Message 3 of 3 , May 13, 2013
          Cindy,

          Thanks for your feedback. Yes, I now have an adapted postage scale, so I can keep a more detailed record of her weights. It is so interesting how the drinking pattern is related to the subqs. When she was getting 150ml subq per day, she drank 8oz of water per day. The day I restarted fluids, she drank over 20oz. At 50 ml per day, she drank about 16oz. On the day after increasing subqs to 75ml, water consumption dropped to 12oz. Interesting.

          Thanks,
          Tami, Staci's mom