Re: Staci's mom: amlodipine side effects

  • tamitamco
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2013
      Lyn,

      Thanks for your reply. Well, if amlodipine effects blood pressure, it seems like it would somehow affect the heart. I did find on "human" sites, a lot of info about amlodipine causing edema (fluid retention) in people. I am surprised that I am not hearing anyone else with fluid retention issues related to amlodipine. Several human sites listed edema as one of the most common side effects of amlodipine.

      So, other than edema, side effects listed were dysphasia (difficulty swallowing) and dyspnia (difficulty breathing). The only symptom that Staci has has in this recent downturn that was not listed with amlodipine side effects was constipation. Hmm... Let me think about this.... Could dysphasia (trouble swallowing) cause a cat to change to eating mostly canned from eating mostly dry food. Before reading the symptom of dysphasia, I thought the switch in preference was confusing. With that piece of info it seems a no-brainer. Trouble swallowing as a side effect might lead to preference of canned (mixed with water) over dry food.

      I am still hoping to hear more amlodipine feedback. It seems I am the only one finding side effects here. I am grateful that it is working well for many of you. Although we switched to benazepril two days ago, I am still researching amlodipine just in case benazepril doesn't bring bp down enough. Good new, one site said that most amlodipine side effects were dose-related. I take that to mean that with a lower dose, many may find the benefits without the side effects.

      I didnt post any links as the similar info came up on dide effects of a few sites. What site is best to look up meds for animals? I found most of this side-effect info on human sites. Thanks for any input.

      Take care,
      Tami

      i`m not sure about amlodipine causing fluid build up, unless amlodipine
      affects the heart. Fluid build up in the body is right sided heart failure.
      I'd ask about a drug called pimobendan perhaps, that really helped my girl
      when both sides of her heart failed.