Prilactone vs Diuren (Furosemide) for kidneys - from Kitty and Marina in IT

  • marina
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2013
      Dear All,

      I first posted in Feb after my 14 year old Norwegian Forest baby, Kitty, threw a clot and was diagnosed with HCM.

      Until April 19th, I had been nursing her back to health round the clock ( pilling her 3x a day) and she was doing better. She's a house kitty and two weeks ago, I brought her to a friend's house ( where I used to live) to sit outside in the garden and get some fresh air and sunshine. A neighbor's cat jumped the fence and attacked her. Huge wound close to the jugular and she was terrorized completely.

      Long story short, 4 trips to the vet over the last few weeks. Yesterday was the last and the good news is that her wound has healed perfectly and her red blood cell levels are normal again. The blood work showed that her kidney values are not so great and the vet ( not a cardiologist) thinks this could be due to the Diuren ( furomeside) she is taking ( just 5mg, 1/4 of a 20mg tablet, 1x per day).

      The kidney values were BUN 42 and Creatinine 2.6 which the vet said where a bit on the high side.

      He thinks I should switch her to 10mg of Prilactone per day instead of the Diuren as less harsh on the kidneys. Not sure what Prilactone is called in the US ( couldn't find it on google).

      Does anyone know of this drug and if it is less harsh on the kidneys? can it be damaging to switch from the Diuren? How bad are these kidney values in the big scope of things ( understand that normal range for Bun is 14-36 and Creat .6 - 2.4).

      Any advice, help, insight would be greatly appreciated. I am waiting to switch until I hear from the group :-).

      Thank you so much,
      Marina and Kitty
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2013
        Hi Marina

        I have used both drugs. 5mg of diuren is a very low dose anyway, but diuren
        can increase the kidney values, as can dehydration. Prilactone is also a
        diuretic, it isn't as effective as the other but it is easier on the
        kidneys. One of my cats takes it instead of the diuren too and successfully. 10mg
        is a standard dose.

        When you switch, I would take her resting breathing rate first and watch to
        see how she breathes at rest. Then monitor it and see if the rate
        increases or the breathing changes (must be at rest) . If the rate does go up, then
        you can restart the lasix. The drugs are safe to give together.

        If she is not on fortekor, I would also ask about that as it helps both
        heart and kidneys, all my HCM cats take that.

      • acrocat@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 5, 2013
          Hi Marina

          Furosemide is a much, much better diuretic than spironolactone (Prilactone) and is the only treatment for cats and dogs in a congestive heart failure crisis. Furosemide is NOT toxic to the kidneys, it causes elevated BUN and creat because it uses dehydration to pull fluid from the lungs. It is not a benign drug, though, and is only used as-needed.

          Spironolactone is not a substitute for furosemide. If your cardiologist doesn't think your cat needs furosemide any longer, that's one thing. If this low dose of furosemide is keeping your cat from CHF, that's another. When was your cat's last echo and cardio checkup? That will give you more info on whether or not it's safe to stop the furosemide.

          Hope this helps,
          Adrianna