4 yr old sphynx diagnosed with HCM

  • Blakey Girl
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2013
      Hi everyone! I found this group trying to get some more info on HCM. Two days ago i brought my four year old sphynx Schmutz to the vet for some coughing issues. Next thing i know i'm hearing he's in possible cardiac failure, has fluid on his heart that is deviating his esophagus, and his left atrium is three times the size it should be. I was devastated Our last sphynx died at five of a similar heart disease that we didn't know about until after his heart started throwing the clots. I'm in shock right now. They have him on Enalapril, Furosemide, another one with a p name that is escaping me at the moment and then tomorrow i am going to get instructions on how to start him on Fragmin. I was wondering if anyone else does the Fragmin? Has it been helpful? It's insanely expensive, but my vet told me to start looking at Canadian pharmacies online that will have it cheaper. Has anyone done that? Thanks for any info or help guys. I'm just devastated He's my baby you know? And my vet isn't really telling how long he may be able to live with this which is frustrating. He doesn't act sick so i'm denial a bit about it. Anyway, best wishes to all!
      Blake

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2013
        Hi Blake

        I`m sorry Schmutz is in heart failure. Unfortunately it is often the first
        symptom, cats hide it well. Has he seen a cardiologist and had an
        ultrasound or was he diagnosed by xray? It is essential he sees a cardiologist if he
        hasn't seen one, they can see the exact condition of the heart.

        I`m not sure what fragmin is and have never used it, so can't comment on
        that, but hopefully someone else can. Looking through the messages in this
        forum, I noticed lovenox mentioned as an alternative. Do a search for fragmin
        here. Nattokinase also dissolves clots and that is a natural supplement.

        Don't worry about prognosis too much. Schmutz didn't hear that. My kitty
        Trixi was given 2 months to live and that was 6 years ago.

      • loyolagradmd
        Message 3 of 4 , May 4, 2013
          Hi Blake,

          I don't have much to add but please make sure you inform the breeder. A good sphynx breeder wants to know this information. They spend a lot of time trying to eliminate heart issues from their lines however that takes time and being informed by pet owners when there are issues.

          Be positive and spend time with him.

          This group is very support and we are here for questions.

          Kevin

          Message 4 of 4 , May 4, 2013
            Blake,

            Lynn is correct kitties do not know they are sick. When I joined t his group less than a year ago, I also was told not to listen to the timelines. Heart kitties do extremely well on medication. Most living years beyond expectation!!

            My himalayan Sheba has a lot of medical issues (feline asthma, unclassified CM, retinal degeneration) and was told she would start demonstrating symptoms. She has yet to show any clinical signs (rapid breathing, CHF). I believe this is due to my diligent care and the recommendations/support of this group!!!

            Is the medication starting with a P - plavix?? Sheba just recently started taking it. Keep us posted!!

            Love and kitty kisses,
            Jordan and Sheba