Rhapsody's test results

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3 11:07 AM
      The internist just called. Rhapsody's lung and eye tests show sterile
      inflammation. He's negative for heartworm. His respiratory issues are
      related to asthmatic bronchitis.

      The internist mentioned steroids. I said I'm concerned about steroids
      for a cat with heart issues. (Thank you, everyone who pointed out that
      danger so I would know to mention it!) He said for now we can continue
      using the Flovent (inhaled steroid) and increase the dose, and let him
      know next week how that's working. We will also continue the
      cyclosporine eye drops. He doesn't want to add more medications until
      after the neurologist sees him (which was supposed to happen yesterday
      but had to be rescheduled for next Thursday because of Astrophe's
      misadventure in the rafters). After the neurology consult, we will
      discuss management of his allergic symptoms and balancing the risk of
      steroids for his heart vs. the danger he's in if he keeps having these
      life-threatening pulmonary episodes.

      And now I have to figure out what to do about my old dusty drafty damp
      and probably moldy house, which is probably toxic for the animals
      *and* me to live in.

      Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3 11:15 AM
        There are a few good yahoogroups for asthma -- just type feline asthma into the search box. They will all definitely be able to help you. Your cardiologist should be the one leading his care -- have the neurologist send a report to him. And yes, for sure -- a good housecleaning will definitely help him. Clean or replace soft furniture, remove old carpets, wood floor is best and cleanest, mop regularly. You will get plenty of tips from the asthma people. Chemicals can also affect him. I know how much you love your kitties, and Rhapsody is so very special -- such a unique and beautiful boy. There are lots of things that can be done to help him have a better life.