Staci's mom: benazepril instead of amlodipine

  • tamitamco
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2013
      Friends,

      What do you think of benazepril instead of amlodipine?

      My vet would like us to switch. I never liked it(amlodipine), as I feel that her breathing changed once she was on Amlodipine. We were on it for a week when her appetite dropped and then she got bloated. ( fluids in chest cavity, abdomen cavity, and carrying fluid pouch after a week no fluids). Now we have dropped from 1/4 pill to 1/16 pill per day.

      Stacis health: she is overhydrated with fluids in her chest cavity and belly area. She also has had a fluid pouch for over a week even though we haven't given fluids in that week, since the first day it didn't absorb. She is 20 years old, 6.5 lbs, stage 4 crf, galloping heart rhythm. Her belly is still looking pretty bloated, although it has gone down. She is in pretty good spirits and seems alert. We are teetering on her needing fluids, but not absorbing what she has in her. I won't give fluids as long as there is a fluid pouch, but it seems uncertain at what point I should reconsider starting fluids, especially I'd she keeps a bloated belly. I believe the biggest concern is fluids in the chest cavity. I don't think there is any way to know but doing another X-ray. My vet is not recommending a med or needle to remove fluid. I am considering the options.

      I think I want to go with the vets recommendation for benazepril instead of amlodipine. Any feedback on the switch? Any guidelines on dosing? My vet hasn't told me the recommended dose yet.

      Thank you,
      Take care,
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2013
        Hi

        I would be very cautious dropping the amlodipine as her blood pressure may
        spike. The benazepril doesn't drop Blood pressure very much. I would ask
        the vet how to reduce amlodipine slowly with blood pressure tests in between
        to see it doesn't go too high but would definitely start benazepril as soon
        as possible.