Re: [FH] Rhapsody's procedure today

  • Dana McCormick
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2013
      Hi Jim,
      You don't want to give oral steroids either. My Fuzz is HCM and asthmatic. He's been on Flovent for 4 yrs and was diagnosed severe CM last June. My steroid horror story is before I became pro-active with vets, my dog was DCM. The board certified internist prescribed pred for an allergy where she chewed her hands raw. The one time I gave her a pill, she was gone in a little over 12 hrs after being fine when I gave it to her. I would never give a heart kitty a steroid. I told my vet what was done and, of course, she was speechless.
      Dana & Fuzz
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2013
        My 8 year himalayan Sheba has feline asthma and unclassified cardiomyopathy. She is currently on inhaled steriods for her asthma.

        However, there has been two (2) incidences where she has been given long-term steriod injections and short-term injections. In both cases she was unaffected, but that was PURE LUCK!! And before I was part of this group. There is a note in all her medical records NO DEPO SHOTS (long term steriod).

        In August, she had a rabies vaccine and suffered anaphalix shock. Because of her medical notation, they gave her a short term steriod shot and she was vomiting and diarrhea uncontrollably. She got through that after a couple of days but in the future NO FURTHER VACCINES FOR HER.

        I will pay the extra monies for the titer.

        My recommendation would be absolutely NO long acting steriod injections (depo shots) for heart kitties. And only short term injections in the case of life or death.