Re: [FH] Rhapsody's procedure today

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2013
      Ack! I thought he meant oral steroids, not injected. But I remember reading
      some kind of warning about that too, I think. Anyone? What's the story on
      cats with HCM and also asthma?

      Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
      On May 1, 2013 5:26 PM, "Westgold" <westgold@...> wrote:

      > **
      > Great news that he is eating already -- very good sign. I hope you are
      > aware that a steroid shot can send a heart kitty into sudden heart
      > failure. Kitties with HCM should never be given steroid shots unless it's
      > a matter of grave importance and there is absoltely no alternative. If he
      > needs a steroid, I understand that most kitties can handle an inhaler okay
      > -- you might want to check that with some others on the list who have
      > kitties with asthma and HCM.
      >
      > we're all praying for him -- give him a kiss from us --
      >
      > take care, Michelle & Tigger Too in Toronto

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2013
        Hi Jim

        injected or oral steroids are dangerous with HCM as they cause fluid to be
        retained and can push an overloaded heart into failure. The inhaled
        steroids are much much safer as they work on the lungs where they are needed. I
        would do my best to avoid anything but inhaled unless it was a matter of no
        choice or quality of life.

        My Arthur had dry eyes and had artificial tears which cleared up the
        irritation.

      • Dana McCormick
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2013
          Hi Jim,
          You don't want to give oral steroids either. My Fuzz is HCM and asthmatic. He's been on Flovent for 4 yrs and was diagnosed severe CM last June. My steroid horror story is before I became pro-active with vets, my dog was DCM. The board certified internist prescribed pred for an allergy where she chewed her hands raw. The one time I gave her a pill, she was gone in a little over 12 hrs after being fine when I gave it to her. I would never give a heart kitty a steroid. I told my vet what was done and, of course, she was speechless.
          Dana & Fuzz
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2013
            My 8 year himalayan Sheba has feline asthma and unclassified cardiomyopathy. She is currently on inhaled steriods for her asthma.

            However, there has been two (2) incidences where she has been given long-term steriod injections and short-term injections. In both cases she was unaffected, but that was PURE LUCK!! And before I was part of this group. There is a note in all her medical records NO DEPO SHOTS (long term steriod).

            In August, she had a rabies vaccine and suffered anaphalix shock. Because of her medical notation, they gave her a short term steriod shot and she was vomiting and diarrhea uncontrollably. She got through that after a couple of days but in the future NO FURTHER VACCINES FOR HER.

            I will pay the extra monies for the titer.

            My recommendation would be absolutely NO long acting steriod injections (depo shots) for heart kitties. And only short term injections in the case of life or death.