Rhapsody's procedure today

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2013
      We are back from the hospital. I am still typing on my phone instead of
      computer, because Rhapsody (whom I hand raised from the age of four weeks)
      is still wobbly from the anesthesia plus his usual ataxia, and also
      restless and apparently anxious, and would not stop pacing and staggering
      until I lay down on my back and put him on my chest inside my shirt as if
      he were still a bitty kitten needing warmth and a mom or surrogate's
      heartbeat. Now he's considerably calmer and at rest, but I can't get up.

      Results of the tracheal wash are pending. While waiting for those results,
      the internist said we can discontinue the clindamycin and no need to resume
      the doxycycline or azithromycin he was on before that. If results confirm
      no infection, he will probably start a steroid for inflammation. We *are*
      continuing the Flovent inhaler.

      The internist had an ophthalmologist check his eyes today, and scheduled us
      to come back tomorrow for a neurology consult. The ophthalmologist said he
      has conjunctivitis that is likely allergy-related. We are to continue the
      cyclosporine eyedrops which he's already been on for several weeks and
      which do seem to be helping his eyes. At this time there is no concern
      about tear production, whereas before starting the eyedrops my vet did an
      eye swipe thingy and found that he had dry eye.

      He had to fast overnight and skip breakfast because of the anesthesia.
      After bringing him home I gave him a small amount of food which he ate
      eagerly and has kept down. When he's ready to get up from his current nap
      on top of me, he will get a regular size dinner. Then he'll get fed again
      at bedtime, then again no breakfast tomorrow per instructions for the neuro
      consult.

      Jim Sinclair jisincla@...

    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2013
        Great news that he is eating already -- very good sign. I hope you are aware that a steroid shot can send a heart kitty into sudden heart failure. Kitties with HCM should never be given steroid shots unless it's a matter of grave importance and there is absoltely no alternative. If he needs a steroid, I understand that most kitties can handle an inhaler okay -- you might want to check that with some others on the list who have kitties with asthma and HCM.

        we're all praying for him -- give him a kiss from us --

        take care, Michelle & Tigger Too in Toronto

      • Jim Sinclair
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2013
          Ack! I thought he meant oral steroids, not injected. But I remember reading
          some kind of warning about that too, I think. Anyone? What's the story on
          cats with HCM and also asthma?

          Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
          On May 1, 2013 5:26 PM, "Westgold" <westgold@...> wrote:

          > **
          > Great news that he is eating already -- very good sign. I hope you are
          > aware that a steroid shot can send a heart kitty into sudden heart
          > failure. Kitties with HCM should never be given steroid shots unless it's
          > a matter of grave importance and there is absoltely no alternative. If he
          > needs a steroid, I understand that most kitties can handle an inhaler okay
          > -- you might want to check that with some others on the list who have
          > kitties with asthma and HCM.
          >
          > we're all praying for him -- give him a kiss from us --
          >
          > take care, Michelle & Tigger Too in Toronto

        • elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2013
            Hi Jim

            injected or oral steroids are dangerous with HCM as they cause fluid to be
            retained and can push an overloaded heart into failure. The inhaled
            steroids are much much safer as they work on the lungs where they are needed. I
            would do my best to avoid anything but inhaled unless it was a matter of no
            choice or quality of life.

            My Arthur had dry eyes and had artificial tears which cleared up the
            irritation.

          • Dana McCormick
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2013
              Hi Jim,
              You don't want to give oral steroids either. My Fuzz is HCM and asthmatic. He's been on Flovent for 4 yrs and was diagnosed severe CM last June. My steroid horror story is before I became pro-active with vets, my dog was DCM. The board certified internist prescribed pred for an allergy where she chewed her hands raw. The one time I gave her a pill, she was gone in a little over 12 hrs after being fine when I gave it to her. I would never give a heart kitty a steroid. I told my vet what was done and, of course, she was speechless.
              Dana & Fuzz
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2013
                My 8 year himalayan Sheba has feline asthma and unclassified cardiomyopathy. She is currently on inhaled steriods for her asthma.

                However, there has been two (2) incidences where she has been given long-term steriod injections and short-term injections. In both cases she was unaffected, but that was PURE LUCK!! And before I was part of this group. There is a note in all her medical records NO DEPO SHOTS (long term steriod).

                In August, she had a rabies vaccine and suffered anaphalix shock. Because of her medical notation, they gave her a short term steriod shot and she was vomiting and diarrhea uncontrollably. She got through that after a couple of days but in the future NO FURTHER VACCINES FOR HER.

                I will pay the extra monies for the titer.

                My recommendation would be absolutely NO long acting steriod injections (depo shots) for heart kitties. And only short term injections in the case of life or death.