Re: Dandelion leaf as alternative to LASIX?

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2013
      Hi

      Lasix hasn't ever caused any of my cats to vomit, but I suppose anything
      can react badly and lasix can irritate the stomach lining. I wouldn't stop
      the lasix, its vital to keep the fluid off the chest. Can you ask for enteric
      coated lasix from the vet, I`m not sure if that is available everywhere.
      The other alternative is a change to spironolactone which might reduce the
      need for lasix.

      I think I would maybe ask for something like a stomach liner pepcid
      (famotidine)? Unfortunately fluid on the lungs is life threatening, and that requ
      ires lasix. So gastric coated lasix or a stomach liner might be in order.
      Time to talk to the vet.

    • snickfly
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 30, 2013
        I am new here, but the first thing that comes to mind is call the vet and see if there is another medicine you can give him or maybe he needs pepsid or something like that? Also, do you feed him after the meds? My vet has always recommended at least a spoonful of wet food or some treats after pilling to make sure the meds get all the way down the esophagus, because many can cause esophageal erosion if they get stuck or start to dissolve in the esophagus.

        Sorry you are having issues with your other kitty. I know the feeling. I had been working on trying to integrate my Charlie prior to his diagnosis. But that is now on hold. So he lives upstairs and the rest live downstairs during the day and at night he sleeps in the spare room while the others can come in my room. It definitely gets a bit hectic at times!

        Anne