Re: Dandelion leaf as alternative to LASIX?

  • marianna.mayer
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30 10:26 AM
      Hi, Jane.
      I think you meant to send this post not only to me, but the entire feline-heart group. So I am forwarding it on for you.
      I'm so sorry Jasper is having difficulties. I can't say either way if Lasix is a factor in this now chronic vomiting each night. What does your vet recommend? The pred may however have more to do with the vomiting in my opinion. But I'm guessing. Hopefully others will respond. Also Lynn in particular may have some valuable input.

      Marianna

      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 30 1:01 PM
        Jane,

        I have a tip for the cat u can't pill. Grind the tablet into a really fine powder in a small bowl. Buy some webbox (ul get it online - my wee Mia prefers the chicken flavour). Squirt a tiny wee drop webbox (about half a teaspoonful) into the bowl & mix with the powder until it forms a paste. Then, smear it on the back leg (at the top) and ur cat will definitely lick it off. Result!

        Good luck with Jasper too & let us know how it all goes :-)

        Morven n Mia x

        On 30 Apr 2013, at 18:26, mmayer11@... wrote:

        > Hi, Jane.
        > I think you meant to send this post not only to me, but the entire feline-heart group. So I am forwarding it on for you.
        > I'm so sorry Jasper is having difficulties. I can't say either way if Lasix is a factor in this now chronic vomiting each night. What does your vet recommend? The pred may however have more to do with the vomiting in my opinion. But I'm guessing. Hopefully others will respond. Also Lynn in particular may have some valuable input.
        >
        > Marianna

      • elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 30 3:53 PM
          Hi

          Lasix hasn't ever caused any of my cats to vomit, but I suppose anything
          can react badly and lasix can irritate the stomach lining. I wouldn't stop
          the lasix, its vital to keep the fluid off the chest. Can you ask for enteric
          coated lasix from the vet, I`m not sure if that is available everywhere.
          The other alternative is a change to spironolactone which might reduce the
          need for lasix.

          I think I would maybe ask for something like a stomach liner pepcid
          (famotidine)? Unfortunately fluid on the lungs is life threatening, and that requ
          ires lasix. So gastric coated lasix or a stomach liner might be in order.
          Time to talk to the vet.

        • snickfly
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 30 5:15 PM
            I am new here, but the first thing that comes to mind is call the vet and see if there is another medicine you can give him or maybe he needs pepsid or something like that? Also, do you feed him after the meds? My vet has always recommended at least a spoonful of wet food or some treats after pilling to make sure the meds get all the way down the esophagus, because many can cause esophageal erosion if they get stuck or start to dissolve in the esophagus.

            Sorry you are having issues with your other kitty. I know the feeling. I had been working on trying to integrate my Charlie prior to his diagnosis. But that is now on hold. So he lives upstairs and the rest live downstairs during the day and at night he sleeps in the spare room while the others can come in my room. It definitely gets a bit hectic at times!

            Anne