Re: [FH] New here--Smokie has an appointment with the cardiologist this afternoon

  • rhywnn gaffney
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30 7:12 AM
      Good luck! Let us know what you find out.
      Rhywnn
      On Apr 30, 2013 9:10 AM, "Susan" <choobiemom@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi all-I just found out yesterday that my 11 year old female DSH has a
      > grade 2-3 heart murmur. Her vet did bloodwork hoping that it might show a
      > thyroid problem but all tests came back normal. Smokie hadn't been herself
      > for a few days, not eating like normal and I noticed that when she is
      > stressed out she displayed that hairball like cough.
      >
      > Thankfully we have a veterinary cardiologist within 45 minutes so she has
      > an appointment for an ultrasound this afternoon. I am so scared as within
      > the last 12 months I have lost 4 beloved pets--3 dogs and 1 kitty--all to
      > cancer. And I sadly have experience with cardiomyopathy. Several years ago
      > I lost a persian kitty out of the blue that threw a saddle thrombus and we
      > had to let him go to the bridge. I never realized that he had a heart
      > problem until it was too late. Watching Bala be fine one minute laying on
      > the bed and the next careening off to hit the wall and then dragging his
      > hind legs was a nightmare that I will never forget. I hope and pray that
      > there is something, some medication we can give Smokie to help her deal
      > with this issue. Of course depending on what is causing the murmur.
      >
      > Thanks for listening and I will of course post the results of her visit.
      >
      > Susan and Smokie

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30 3:57 PM
        Hi Susan

        I`m sorry you lost your other kitty to saddle thrombosis. Unfortunately
        that is often the first and final symptom of heart disease, cats are excellent
        at hiding it. With Smokie you now have a chance as she was caught earlier.
        There are plenty of things you can do to help and the cardiologist is the
        first one, so let us know the diagnosis and then we can give you advice and
        ideas :)

      • snickfly
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30 5:09 PM
          I hope that they can determine what is going on with Smokie! My Charlie had his ultrasound last week, was diagnosed with HCM and has started meds. He is doing really well on Lasix and Atenolol. He is more playful than ever and even tolerates the meds (although he doesn't love it and apparently the liquid does not really taste like chicken--LOL). He is eating normally again and his respiration rate is much lower. He goes for a check up next Fri. with blood work and possibly a repeat chest xray. Hopefully you will be able to start some type of treatment with good results! Sorry about Bala. It is always so hard to deal with the loss. I recently lost my kitty Fred to a cancerous nasal tumor. It was a long few months and we tried everything we could, but in the end, crossing the Rainbow Bridge was the best decision. Someone on here gave me good advice and I am trying to take it to heart.....enjoy them each day as you just never know what may happen! Please let us know how the ultrasound goes.

          Anne