Re: [FH] My Pumpkin Pants was just diagnosed with HCM

  • Dana McCormick
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2013
      Hello,

      My Fuzz was diagnosed severe HCM in June. He had a couple fainting spells while hospitalized. He had never had them at home. Both times before the tech was able to get the Dr there, he was out of it. He hasn't done it since. Fuzz was quite sick acting when he was diagnosed. Actually, it took 3 trips to the ER to get to the bottom of it. The first 2 times 2 different Drs sent him home.

      He is on Diltiazem, Plavix, CoQ10, Cardio Strength & DMG. Fortunately, his 2 follow up echos have showed improvement.

      Dana

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 26, 2013
        ((This was meant for the group:))

        Thank you all for the support. My pumpkin, aka ppants, pants, pman ect.
        lol, he is 6 years old and he looks like an average orange tabby. My husband
        found him on the side of a house while he was at work. He was about 2 months
        old then. He has a mini tennis ball which is his favorite to chance around
        but is a bit bored cause no one will throw it to him right now. :/

        Today he seems like himself. I think the stress from the doctors caused
        the fainting episode. As for the medicine the doctor was on the fence about
        1x a day or 2x a day. He said with his weight he can get away with 1x. He's
        only 14.4 lbs so I don't know. He goes for a follow up in 2 weeks to make
        sure hes doing well on the medicine.

        Question what does everyone do for the car ride to the vet, PPants was
        breathing heavy and panting a lot. I think its just stress of being
        transferred but im just being a worried mommy. At home his breathing seems fine I do
        notice somewhere around 5 breaths he'll do a double in take but that's it.
        Otherwise its steady. Other info about him is that his heart murmur is a
        grade 4/6 that's what it said on the summary report from my vet.

      • elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 27, 2013
          (This was for group too:))

          I am lucky that my car ride to the vet is only 9 minutes. My Charlie
          scraped his nose terribly on our first two rides there using the hard carrier.
          I bought him a soft carrier and used that last time. He bit and chewed it
          and ripped it in a spot or two but didn't reinjure his nose. I know it is
          stressful for him. I will see how our trip goes in two weeks for his
          blood work. He just started on meds today and goes in two weeks for a check.
          I will talk to the vet then and see what he recommends. I had a cat in the
          past that I would have to sedate to get in the carrier but I don't want to
          have to do that....

          Anne

        • Dana McCormick
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 29, 2013
            We give Fuzz a dose of Buprenex before we leave. The vet is 40 mins away and he travels poorly. After his first recheck he arrived panting, etc and when we got home, his respiration rate was around 100. So it was suggested to try the Buprenex for the next visit and it works like a charm, totally calm and stress free.
            Dana