My Pumpkin Pants was just diagnosed with HCM

  • foxy8609
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 25 3:47 PM
      Hello all, I came across this group in another thread somewhere and they recommended to the person to try it for support. Pumpkin was diagnosed last week with Severe hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. He had no other symptoms of being ill except he would have fainting spells. So far since we've moved into our new house 3 months ago he's had 4, but 3 were in the past week. He started the fainting spells about 1 year ago but they were months apart and I was really unsure what was going on with him cause I would walk in and it would be almost over. These last about 2 minutes. Besides that he eats, drinks, wants to play but I wont encourage him cause that's when the last two spells set in. My vet told me to try playing again after a week on meds. He just started his medicine yesterday cause my normal vet referred me to the cardiologist.

      So the medicine he has him started on is 1/2 81mg asprin 2x a week, 1/2 tablet of Atenolol 25mg 1x a day and 1/2 a tablet of Benazepril 5mg 1x a day. So far semi easy to get him to take the pills. Unfortunately it couldn't be super easy with the pill pockets.

      My main concerns are the fainting spells. I know blood clots should be more of a concern but they're not. Its the fainting spells cause I feel so bad for him when it happens. I would love to read about others stories and how well they are doing.
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 26 3:51 AM
        Hi

        I am sorry to hear of Pumpkin.. The good news is you caught it and had it
        diagnosed before he was actually in heart failure. The fainting may be low
        blood pressure or the heart not being able to supply enough oxygen. Now he
        is on medication they will help stabilise his heart. There are other drugs
        they can add as well when needed. I see he is on aspirin for clots, but I
        would also enquire about plavix. My Trixi was on both when her condition was
        severe.

        The atenolol dose is unusual. It is normally given as 1/4 tablet twice a
        day, not 1/2 once a day. Maybe there is good reason for that though.

        Start him on CoQ at 30mg. Most of the cats here take it and it helps the
        heart. Read up about it and you can get it as Vetriscience Cardiostrength
        which is made for pets or on its own from the health food store. My cats have
        all been on it for years.

        Watch his breathing when he is asleep and note the normal pattern and rate
        per minute. It should be up to 30. What to do is time it for 15 seconds and
        times by 4. The idea is you can quickly see if it is getting worse. You
        are looking for an increased rate, open mouth breathing, panting, wheezing,
        'double breaths where the stomach seems to pull in twice breathing in,
        sharp breaths with the stomach pulled in tightly. This can be done once daily
        and you'll quickly note anything odd. Up to 40 is caution to call the vet
        and 40+ emergency.

        Don't keep watching him and treating him as if he is ill. He is unaware he
        is ill and wants to play. How old is he and what breed is he? He can play
        and run and eat normally, cats are excellent at moderating their activity
        .Trixi was diagnosed at 3 months, given 2 months to live and reaches her
        7th birthday this year, despite a clot which caused a heart attack.

        Hope that helps:)

      • Dana McCormick
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 26 9:55 AM
          Hello,

          My Fuzz was diagnosed severe HCM in June. He had a couple fainting spells while hospitalized. He had never had them at home. Both times before the tech was able to get the Dr there, he was out of it. He hasn't done it since. Fuzz was quite sick acting when he was diagnosed. Actually, it took 3 trips to the ER to get to the bottom of it. The first 2 times 2 different Drs sent him home.

          He is on Diltiazem, Plavix, CoQ10, Cardio Strength & DMG. Fortunately, his 2 follow up echos have showed improvement.

          Dana

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 26 3:54 PM
            ((This was meant for the group:))

            Thank you all for the support. My pumpkin, aka ppants, pants, pman ect.
            lol, he is 6 years old and he looks like an average orange tabby. My husband
            found him on the side of a house while he was at work. He was about 2 months
            old then. He has a mini tennis ball which is his favorite to chance around
            but is a bit bored cause no one will throw it to him right now. :/

            Today he seems like himself. I think the stress from the doctors caused
            the fainting episode. As for the medicine the doctor was on the fence about
            1x a day or 2x a day. He said with his weight he can get away with 1x. He's
            only 14.4 lbs so I don't know. He goes for a follow up in 2 weeks to make
            sure hes doing well on the medicine.

            Question what does everyone do for the car ride to the vet, PPants was
            breathing heavy and panting a lot. I think its just stress of being
            transferred but im just being a worried mommy. At home his breathing seems fine I do
            notice somewhere around 5 breaths he'll do a double in take but that's it.
            Otherwise its steady. Other info about him is that his heart murmur is a
            grade 4/6 that's what it said on the summary report from my vet.

          • elfinmyst
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 27 2:59 AM
              (This was for group too:))

              I am lucky that my car ride to the vet is only 9 minutes. My Charlie
              scraped his nose terribly on our first two rides there using the hard carrier.
              I bought him a soft carrier and used that last time. He bit and chewed it
              and ripped it in a spot or two but didn't reinjure his nose. I know it is
              stressful for him. I will see how our trip goes in two weeks for his
              blood work. He just started on meds today and goes in two weeks for a check.
              I will talk to the vet then and see what he recommends. I had a cat in the
              past that I would have to sedate to get in the carrier but I don't want to
              have to do that....

              Anne

            • Dana McCormick
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 29 12:41 PM
                We give Fuzz a dose of Buprenex before we leave. The vet is 40 mins away and he travels poorly. After his first recheck he arrived panting, etc and when we got home, his respiration rate was around 100. So it was suggested to try the Buprenex for the next visit and it works like a charm, totally calm and stress free.
                Dana