Re: Charlie was just diagnosed yesterday

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2013
      Hi Anne

      I am sorry to hear of Charlie. The good news is you caught it quite early,
      as he was entering heart failure, and he responded well to lasix. Inderal
      is a beta blocker and is often used in early HCM, my Maxi started on a
      similar drug first. That will help stabilise his heart and help him. There are
      other drugs they can add as well when needed. Now there are things you can
      do to help now.

      Start him on CoQ at 30mg. Most of the cats here take it and it helps the
      heart. Read up about it and you can get it as Cardiostrength which is made
      for pets or from the health food store. My heart cats have all been on it for
      years.

      Watch his breathing when he is asleep and note the normal pattern and rate
      per minute. It should be up to 30. Then you can quickly see if it is
      getting worse and act. You are looking for an increased rate, open mouth,
      panting, wheezing, 'double breaths where the stomach seems to pull in twice
      breathing in, sharp breaths with the stomach pulled in tightly. This can be done
      once daily and you'll quickly note anything odd. Up to 40 is caution and
      40+ emergency.

      Don't keep watching him though. He is totally unaware he is ill and wants
      to be a normal cat. He can play and run and eatnormally. If you are stressed
      he will pick up on that and you won't enjoy him. I had a kitten diagnosed
      at 3 months, given 2 months to live who reaches her 7th birthday this year.
      I had Toby with early HCM who died suddenly of liver cancer. It is
      important to enjoy them and be as normal as possible.

      Hope that helps:)