New member: lysine dose for Petra (herpes & heart murmur)

  • nikosmeowmie
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 23, 2013
      Petra is almost 12; Siamese-/SnowShoe mix.

      Single kitten in litter; born by C-section; turning blue when handed to me. I did CPR as best I cld --> oxygen for 2 hrs b4 she moved or mewed. Ortho issues: in pre-natal X-ray, I saw L forepaw bent forward & flattened against forearm (I splinted it so she wld walk on her paw rather than her wrist); also born w/o femoral heads, so she had to b hobbled so that she cld learn to stand & walk. Ortho issues r resolved.

      Also has pupillary membrane disease in L eye, wh has worsened, & she is likely blind in that eye.

      Chronically bad crusty & wet eye boogers + "snots & sneezes" of a herpes cat.

      A grade 3 ( class 3? -- sorry, don't know the language yet) heart murmur was dx'd when she was an infant. At abt age 8, Petra went to VCA/ER b/c she just seemed "punky," & had 2 episodes of what we r assuming was syncope while being assessed there --> cardiology w/u, wh told us that her heart had not gotten worse. [This is the *BAD* kitty mom part: I was given the option of trying meds for her -- pimobendan, I thnk; took them, but did not follow thru. I live 2 places -- S MD & a cottage in WV, where I am most of the time. Took Petra w me, but that did *not* wrk out, as she was virtually blind by then & treated as the "pariah cat" & beaten up by others in my brood. She was, naturally, frightened, & peed in the heat/AC registers & pooped in the sink. NOT ok for either her or us. So we took her back to her home in S MD, where the other kitties know/love her (mostly), she doesn't get beaten up, & she doesn't pee in the grates. ANYWAY...we cldn't give her heart meds consistently, so we elected not to give them at all, & she has seemed ok. ]

      That was abt 3.5 yrs ago, & Petra still seems pretty good. She glues herself to me the minute I show up, & sleeps on my head or my chest.

      Her "kitty cold" symptoms r worse...or, rather, they wax & wane, & I decided to give lysine gel a shot, as it's easy to administer, & my spouse & my other cat caretaker can give it in my absence.

      I've been using Vetoquinol Viralys gel, & just putting a dollop on my finger into her mouth 2x/day. Is this "dose"/freq ok?

      I didn't see anythng in the grp's files abt lysine, so I thot I'd ask. I was hoping that someone --or several someones -- in the grp wld have a suggestion/opinion, as I have been involved/active in several other yahoo grps feline health sights, and pple's expertise is truly amazing.

      Thnx in advance for reading this, & for ur help.

      Robin, Petra, & Blyncken; angels Nodd & Tweeno; & archangel Nikokyris
    • MAUREEN FOGG
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 23, 2013
        Hi,
        My kitty had the same crusty snotty stuff  - probably herpes - until I started
        her on Vetri-Lysine Plus For Cats.

        It helped her completely I have to say - in that regard - no more eye buggers or
        sneezing or goopy eyes.
        I believe I gave her 1 or 2 a day.  They are fishies that my baby liked to scarf
        down - and she was extremely picky!

        Best of Luck to you.
        Maureen and Angel Yuki

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 23, 2013
          Hi

          I used Enisyl which is either a paste or treats. 1ml a day of paste for 6
          months cleared Arthur up and he hasn't had a problem since in 4 years:)
          Arthur was tested positive for Herpes before we gave it. All others cats remain
          negative:)