Annual Echo for Jazzie

  • Melinda E
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 23, 2013
      Jazzie went in for her annual echo yesterday. She was diagnosed 3 years ago with HCM. She is 7 1/2 years old. She is a purebred Ragdoll who I got from a reputable breeder with no history of HCM in her cattery.

      When Jazz was first diagnosed by our vet, she was sent to a feline Cardiologist and diagnosed with HCM. There was thickening of the walls of her heart and turbulence was observed. The doctor put her on atenolol and said to come back the following year to be rechecked. When we returned last year, improvement was observed. Her heart wall measurements had actually reduced. Yesterday's echo showed further improvement. The vet said that he believes that Jazz will more than likely live a normal life span without significant worsening of her HCM.

      When I first took Jazzie to the Cardiologist, the doctor said that there were not enough studies done to show using medication to treat cats with early HCM. He gave me the choice to begin treatment. I am glad that I did.
    • bubbacat12003
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 23, 2013
        Melinda! It's always exciting to hear great news! We're thrilled for you & Jazzie!

        Time to celebrate!

        Best,
        Jo
        ___________________

[...]

      • elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 23, 2013
          HI Melinda,

          That is fantastic news! I also had a cat whose values improved after
          medication. It shows it is vital to start treatment early. Well done and purrs
          to Jazzie!

          :) Lyn

        • Dana McCormick
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 23, 2013
            Melinda,

            That is fantastic news.

            I am also one who insisted on early treatment. My Leroy was diagnosed mild HCM a few years ago and the Dr gave me the choice to medicate or not. He was put on Diltiazem and his next recheck he had normal readings and remained that way for many years until he passed away from something unrelated to the heart.

            My Fuzz was diagnosed severe HCM in June and was put on Diltiazem and his 2 follow up echos also show improvement in the #s. As a result of his diagnosis, I had his 3 full siblings checked and they have varying degrees of HCM. 2 of the 3 were put on Diltiazem and had improvements on their measurements on the first follow-up.

            Perhaps luck plays a role, but I am a firm believer that early meds help, whether there are studies to prove it.

            Dana