information about bringing a cat to Ireland

  • Pablo Frank
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 22, 2013
      hello all,
      I'll thank you any information relevant to bringing a cat to ireland by plane.
      I'll travel from Israel, a non-qualifying (higher risk) country.
      2 questions are:

      1) is it all the relevant information here?:http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/
      2) according to this site:
      http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/entryofpetsunderpriorapprovalsystem/

      a pet can enter to Ireland only as cargo:

      Entry into Ireland will be by airline into Dublin Airport only and pets must travel as manifest freight (cargo) and can not travel in the cabin or as checked baggage.

      Any other useful information will be thanked a lot.
      Pablo

    • Jim Sinclair
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 22, 2013
        Hi Pablo,

        I don't know if that information is correct or not. But if it is, then
        I strongly recommend against taking the cat. I would not want to
        subject any animal to air travel in cargo, especially not one with
        heart disease or other serious health problems. If you can't take the
        cat in the cabin with you, I recommend leaving him or her safely on
        the ground in the care of a trusted sitter.

        Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
      • Pablo Frank
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 22, 2013
          >>> then I strongly recommend against taking the cat.

          i have no option, because i travel for at least a year, or may be more. So i must take her.

          To: frank_pablo@...
          CC: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
            Hi Pablo,

            I dont know the rules for Ireland, but certainly in the UK (inc Northern Ireland) you can not travel in bound with a pet in the cabin, they must be in cargo, on commercial flights.
            If you can afford a charter you are sorted as those rules won't apply!!
            Outbound cabin travel is allowed with airlines who permit it, so you may be ok going home!

            Since most can't afford a charter, many people fly to Paris with their cat in the cabin, then take the train to the coast, probably Calais. I don't think you can take pets on ferries, may be wrong, I know for sure you can't take pets on Eurostar but I think you can take them with you on the shuttle... not sure if you need a car to use the shuttle with an animal... there maybe other options you could explore but you'd need to be prepared to travel across the UK by road or train once you cross the Channel..... so that just leaves the Irish Sea....

            Sarah & Rascasse (in UK)
          • beadfreak.geo
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
              Can you fly into either London or Wales and take the ferry across to Ireland? I don't know where you are headed to in Ireland, but that might be a better option for your cat.

              Caroline

            • JudithG
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
                Sorry, missed the beginning of this thread. I'm in Israel too.

                The rabies antibody test must be done by a government agency. This means the hospital at the Korat Veterinary School in Bet Degan. They are slow.

                The entire ready your pet process is the qualify for an EU passport process. Your vet should know what this entails. Your cat will be microchipped.

                How are you getting there? I don't believe there are any direct flights unless one of the charter companies has them. If there isn't one, you have to allow for the layover which may mean making arrangements for your pet to stay in some sort of facility at the airport.

                Judith
              • Charlotte .
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 23, 2013
                  Hi Pablo,

                  I'm the owner of a cat with a heart condition and I live in Ireland :) The
                  links you gave are the correct sources of information and no cat can fly
                  into Ireland except as cargo. It is not possible to take a cat in the cabin
                  into Ireland OR BRITAIN at all. I have flown cats in from the EU to Ireland
                  but I am also in touch with cat breeders who have brought cats (and dogs!)
                  into Ireland from other places.

                  If I can help in any way with specific questions etc, please shout.

                  charlotte

                  --
                  DaddyO Sphynx and Devon Rex
                  www.daddyocats.com