HELP! Oxygen tanks don't have levers

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 20, 2013
      ARGH! I do not believe this! I just noticed (fortunately *before*
      another crisis begins) that these tanks I got yesterday do not have
      handles to turn on the oxygen flow! I posted a picture on Twitter:
      http://t.co/hUO7uo6Ps1

      I called the company that I got them from, but it's closed for the
      weekend. I called the veterinary ER and asked, if I bring over one of
      the tanks, could someone there show me how to turn it on. They said
      no, for liability reasons.

      My first tank, the one I swapped yesterday for one of these full ones,
      had a lever-type handle to turn the flow on and off. Is there some
      technique I am not aware of, for turning the O2 on and off without
      that handle? Will I break anything if I use a wrench or vise grip on
      it?

      Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 20, 2013
        Jim,

        Do you have a picture of the whole tank? Maybe the manufacturer's website? There should be some kind of instructions on the website, I would imagine.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 21, 2013
          Excellent idea, Carol.

          Jim, if you could post a picture to FaceBook we could pass it around to see
          if someone knows.

          Jo
          _______________________________

          In a message dated 4/21/2013 12:38:31 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

[...]

          Jim Sinclair _jisincla@..._ (mailto:jisincla@...)

        • Cindy Reese
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 21, 2013
            I hope you got in it by now but if not you should be able to use any kind of tool or pliers to open the tank. They have a little wrench thing that they usually give you with a new set up and for refills they probably assumed you already had one.

            Cindy in AZ

          • Sarah Wadey
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 21, 2013
              Hi Jim,

              The regulator is removable yes?
              I think you need a wrench to turn the air on. Check out this video, about 2 mins in
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbvGuImF_38

              Your local hospital may be able to lend you a wrench until shops open on Monday if you sweet talk them.

              Hope that helps,

              Sarah & Rascasse x