Re: [FH] Question: What is resting heart rate please?

  • psychoforkaatz
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 19, 2013
      Thanks Carol, the first one I looked at said 150-200. Then to double check, the next one was 110-140. And so on...

      I used to have a kitty with HCM but its been a few years so I couldn't remember but I knew I'd get the right info here.

      My CRF girl, Kitty, just had her first shot of Epogen tonight (at home)for anemia related to her kidney disease, and she was acting a bit stressed, moving around, not getting comfortable. We checked her BP at vet today when we picked up the Epogen and it was 90. Its been stable around 130 for over a year. Anyway, I checked her resting heart rate and it was 160. It didn't sound particularly fast to me, I remember Josie's would get so fast I couldn't keep count! Kitty has a grade 2-3/6 heart murmur, unchanged since her CRF diagnosis two years ago. She has been sleeping peacefully now for two hours since last check, now her rate is 176 bpm.

      Anyway, thanks for the quick response.

      Kendall & Kitty

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Carol <carolroar@...> wrote:

      > hi Kendall,
      >
      > A resting heart rate can be anywhere from 120 to 140 beats per minute. I know on different sites they state that a cat's heart rate is "normal" up to as high as 200, but that's just not true. I work for a veterinarian, and she always tells me anything up to about 140 is okay, higher than that is considered high. Misty's is around 160 and it's too high. Her's also goes up to 200 a lot and it's very scarey. Misty has tachycardia, has had for years, and her heart rate is always high and her beats aren't normal. She has an irregular heart beat along with it being rapid.
      >
      > Anyway... I go by the 120 to 140 numbers for Misty.
      >
      > Carol

    • r schu
      Message 2 of 4 , May 12 8:02 AM
        May's resting heart rate goes as low as 136 but is usually around 156 to 164. Our cardiologist said not to worry, that is her rate, and if over 180 then worry.

        I got a stethoscope, pediatric, and it works really well.

        -Lee and May

        Re: Question: What is resting heart rate please?
        Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:01 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
        "Carol" carolroars