Re: My cat Sophia - hypertrophic cardiomyopathy

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 19, 2013
      Hi Hope

      You have done everything exactly right. All of those drugs are essential to
      remove fluid and stabilise the heart. Now she is stable it is important to
      monitor her.

      The best way is to count breaths. Do this as she is sleeping softly. Count
      for 15 seconds and times by 4. up to 30 is normal, 30+ alarm and 40+
      emergency in my experience. But the most important thing is to watch the pattern,
      see what is normal now she is stable. Then you can see any changes
      quickly, either in an increase in rate or a change in pattern (open mouth,
      gasping, double breaths, drawing in her tummy) All these signs are urgent. As is
      being unable to lie down comfortably and sitting up on her front paws.

      But don't do this all the time. Once a day is plenty:)

      Trixi was diagnosed with severe HCM at 12 weeks old. She was given a few
      months to live. Since then she has had a clot to her heart and takes a lot of
      medicaitons. She is 7 this August. Milli was given a year as a kitten and
      is 7 in June:) Medications and getting help quickly can do an awful lot.
      And remember, your cat has no intention whatsoever to listen to the
      cardilogist.

      Enjoy every day. Toby had mild HCM and was 6 years old. He went to the vet
      for a vaccination and as they checked his tummy, a liver tumour burst and
      he died that day. We had no idea whatsover he had a large tumour.

    • Janette
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 19, 2013
        Zeke had a recent episode of very deep heavy breathing. Not fast, just seemed labored - ie - very deep breaths. My vet told me to increase lasix to every 6 - 8 hours. It took a couple of days, but his breathing settled down to a more normal looking level. Occassionally he opens his mouth, but only for a minute.

        As far as life expectancy - I think most of us take it one day at a time. Zeke was diagnosed March 2012 with "early heart failure", then congestive heart failure several months ago. At the time of his initial diagnoses the vet thought he'd have another 6 months. Here it is over a year later - and for the most of that time, things went very well. He has been on atenolol 1/4 tab, 1/4 benezapril and 1/4 tab of amlodipine for high blood pressure. Now we're also giving him the lasix (feurosemide) 12.5 - 3 times a day. A few weeks ago he was also diagnosed with diabetes so now we have to add insulin to his routine - his blood glucose will not regulate. We monitor his levels by sticking his hear (he loves that!...not!) He's at the point now where we thought were going to lose him at any time over the last few weekends (always on Sat eve or Sunday of course!)

        The point is you have to decide that it's quality of life that's important. forget about time lines. For us - we take it one day at a time. Some days are better than others. The stress is difficult (for us - not the cat)but we do what we must. When the time comes, we'll do what we must for Zeke. Enjoy the days you have, spoil your kitty and love them every day.

        Janette

        ---
      • Laurie Stead
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 19, 2013
          Hi Janette,

          I am glad Zeke is doing better.  The ups and downs certainly keep us on our toes. I was wondering if you have discussed vetmedin with the cardiologist?  This drug really helped to stabilize Boo and I know lots of others in the group swear by it too.

          Laurie

[...]

        • melissakorzeniowski
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 19, 2013
            Janette

            I am glad to hear Zeke is breathing better.

            It was perfect timing for your paragraph on life expectancy - Oreo and I had a rough day today at the hospital (cardio noticed more fluid in chest, will not put on diuretic because she has CRF and IM vet will not give fluids sq as can overwhelm her heart but her kidney values are worsening)and the vets had the "quality of life" talk with me today.

            So it is very comforting to hear of a kitty that has well outlived what his doctors had suggested.