protocol for treating hyperthyroid cat who has an ongoing heart murmur

  • M
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 18 11:25 AM
      Hello out there. My Oreo was just diagnosed as having a hyperthyroid

      Here is the data from her lab tests of the past week:

      t4 level 9.7

      weight 9.8

      heart murmur 3 from scale of 1-6 ( I believe it has always been about a 2 before)

      kidneys "fine

      Issue' Would a 1.25 mg twice a day of tapazole be safe for her considering she has a heart murmur. My vet originally prescribed 5 mg. bid, but from a # of sources I understand this is outdated protocol and it is one should start out slowly and begin with 1.25 mg bid.
      The vet on duty whom I later spoke to said " if I wanted I could do 2.5 mg bid ( But at their clinic they do 5mg bid " because it works".I have heard that the result of a high dose can cause hypothroidism with dire consequences and that, with cats , unlike dogs the cats vary in their reaction to the dosage and that therefore it is better to proceed
      conservatively and gradually increase the dosage if called for.
      But I don't want to put Oreo's hear health in jeopordy (sp?). Her vet said she is more concerned about her heart than the thyroid problem.
      Thanks so much for your input.

      Marcia
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 19 4:18 AM
        Hi Marcia

        Hyperthyroid is a cause of secondary HCM. It may be when the thyroid is
        treated, the heart condition gets better. My Josh got a lot better when he was
        treated. We went straight onto the 5mg and after a few weeks he had his
        thyroid measured again to check it wasn't too low.