Re: New To Group/Intro - Melissa & Oreo

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 18, 2013
      Hi Melissa

      I am sorry to hear of Oreo, and her heart failure.? Pimobendan has been a
      life saver for two of my cats and I have been delighted with the results.
      Trixi has HCM and Milli has a heart defect and both were pulled out of heart
      failure. Another drug mine take is fortekor which actually helps both
      heart and kidneys so you could ask about that.

      CoQ 10 helps all my cats at 30mg per day. Most of the
      forum cats here are on that so it is something to consider because its
      easy to get from the health
      store or as Cardiostrength which is made for cats with heart problems. You
      can also consider nattokinase (must have vitamin K removed) to prevent
      blood
      clots if she is at risk of those.

      Count breaths, see what is normal when she is at rest, but not dreamy. It
      should be around 20. Up to 30 is considered normal, over 30 caution and
      over
      40 an emergency. But the most important is to see what is like normal so
      you can see changes quickly. Looks for open mouth breathing and double
      breaths or anything abnormal. Left sided heart failure affects the lungs and
      right sided the body, so the fluid was likely from right sided heart
      failure. Its such a balance to get kidneys and heart, but the heart has to come
      first.

      Lyn:)

    • Melissa Korzeniowski
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 18, 2013
        Hi Lyn:

        Thank you so much for your reply and for sharing your experience with Pimobendan.  You are correct that her fluid was from right sided failure - the echo showed failure in both sides, but more prominent on the right.

        I have been monitoring her breathing - although when she had the fluid, she did not have any respiratory distress.

        I will ask her cardiologist tomorrow about the CoQ10 and nattokinase.  Why does the potassium have to be removed?  Oreo's potassium has been very low lately, so we have been supplementing with Tumil K.

        I have so much to learn about the CHF.  I do know the heart has to come first - I just hope we can find the balance in time for my girl.

        Thanks again.

        Melissa

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 18, 2013
          Hi

          It's not the potassium has to be removed from nattokinase, it's the vitamin
          K, because that affects clotting and is too high a dose for cats. Doctor's
          best nattokinase has no vitamin K. The medical alternative to nattokinase
          is plavix or aspirin, and the cardiologist may give that if there is a risk
          of clots. I would also ask about fortekor (benazepril) too.

          :) Lyn

        • Melissa Korzeniowski
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 19, 2013

            Thanks for your post.  Can she be on benazepril and amlodipine at the same time?  The cardiologist today said that Pimobendan is the only drug she can give because Oreo has kidney disease as well.

            She had more fluid in her chest today than last week - not enough to be tapped - but worrisome.

            Thanks for your support.

            Melissa

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 20, 2013
              Hi Melissa

              Both my Trixi and Milli have atenolol, benazepril and vetmedin, along with
              diuretics and plavix. Trixi has been on that combination for years. Milli
              has benazepril for 6 years but added vetmedin last year and more recently
              atenolol. Benazepril is actually used to treat kidney disease in the UK so
              it's used for heart and kidneys which helps my cats too.

              But each cat is different. Maxi has just atenolol, so does Topsy.