New To Group/Intro - Melissa & Oreo

  • melissakorzeniowski
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 17, 2013
      Hello Everyone!

      My name is Melissa and I have a little old lady named Oreo who is soon to be 18 years old. She was recently diagnosed with CHF after an episode of IV fluid overload during a recent hospitalization.

      She recently had an echocardiogram done which showed both left and right sided CHF and a slightly enlarged heart. She has a grade 3/6 murmur. She also has CRF. Which unfortunately, has made managing her health trickier.

      Her cardiologist recently started Oreo on Pimobendan. I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with it and if they could share their stories?

      Oreo started on the Pimobendan on Sunday night and I also gave her sub-q fluids for the CRF (only 25mls) and she accumulated fluid in her belly. I've read that Pimobendan could possibly cause the ascites, but obviously, it could be the CHF as well.

      Does anyone have a kitty who also has CRF in addition to CHF? I am new to this CHF diagnosis and am hoping to learn as much as I can to help keep Oreo going for as long as she is able.

      Thanks in advance for any help/input!

      Melissa & Oreo
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 18, 2013
        Hi Melissa

        I am sorry to hear of Oreo, and her heart failure.? Pimobendan has been a
        life saver for two of my cats and I have been delighted with the results.
        Trixi has HCM and Milli has a heart defect and both were pulled out of heart
        failure. Another drug mine take is fortekor which actually helps both
        heart and kidneys so you could ask about that.

        CoQ 10 helps all my cats at 30mg per day. Most of the
        forum cats here are on that so it is something to consider because its
        easy to get from the health
        store or as Cardiostrength which is made for cats with heart problems. You
        can also consider nattokinase (must have vitamin K removed) to prevent
        blood
        clots if she is at risk of those.

        Count breaths, see what is normal when she is at rest, but not dreamy. It
        should be around 20. Up to 30 is considered normal, over 30 caution and
        over
        40 an emergency. But the most important is to see what is like normal so
        you can see changes quickly. Looks for open mouth breathing and double
        breaths or anything abnormal. Left sided heart failure affects the lungs and
        right sided the body, so the fluid was likely from right sided heart
        failure. Its such a balance to get kidneys and heart, but the heart has to come
        first.

        Lyn:)

      • Melissa Korzeniowski
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 18, 2013
          Hi Lyn:

          Thank you so much for your reply and for sharing your experience with Pimobendan.  You are correct that her fluid was from right sided failure - the echo showed failure in both sides, but more prominent on the right.

          I have been monitoring her breathing - although when she had the fluid, she did not have any respiratory distress.

          I will ask her cardiologist tomorrow about the CoQ10 and nattokinase.  Why does the potassium have to be removed?  Oreo's potassium has been very low lately, so we have been supplementing with Tumil K.

          I have so much to learn about the CHF.  I do know the heart has to come first - I just hope we can find the balance in time for my girl.

          Thanks again.

          Melissa

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 18, 2013
            Hi

            It's not the potassium has to be removed from nattokinase, it's the vitamin
            K, because that affects clotting and is too high a dose for cats. Doctor's
            best nattokinase has no vitamin K. The medical alternative to nattokinase
            is plavix or aspirin, and the cardiologist may give that if there is a risk
            of clots. I would also ask about fortekor (benazepril) too.

            :) Lyn

          • Melissa Korzeniowski
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 19, 2013

              Thanks for your post.  Can she be on benazepril and amlodipine at the same time?  The cardiologist today said that Pimobendan is the only drug she can give because Oreo has kidney disease as well.

              She had more fluid in her chest today than last week - not enough to be tapped - but worrisome.

              Thanks for your support.

              Melissa

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 20, 2013
                Hi Melissa

                Both my Trixi and Milli have atenolol, benazepril and vetmedin, along with
                diuretics and plavix. Trixi has been on that combination for years. Milli
                has benazepril for 6 years but added vetmedin last year and more recently
                atenolol. Benazepril is actually used to treat kidney disease in the UK so
                it's used for heart and kidneys which helps my cats too.

                But each cat is different. Maxi has just atenolol, so does Topsy.