Aspirin

  • nyppsi
    Message 1 of 32 , Apr 16, 2013
      Christophe,

      I tried to send this to your email address, but it bounced.

      Jesse weighs 6 lbs 11.5 oz.

      The aspirin is always preceded by 15 minutes with 1/4 of a 10mg Pepcid AC
      (famotidine) tablet. I'm not sure exactly what the purpose of the Pepcid AC
      is, but every veterinary cardiologist Jesse has seen over the years has
      prescribed it to be given prior to the aspirin.

      I get the aspirin compounded into gelatin capsules by a veterinary
      compounding pharmacy. The Pepcid AC is simply quartered by me and the quarters
      placed in empty gelatin capsules, again by me, prior to administration as
      Pepcid AC tastes terrible to most cats.

      While the aspirin has worked well for him, whether or not aspirin, or, for
      that matter any drug, works well for a particular cat has to be determined
      on a case-by-case basis. The drug has to be cautiously administered and the
      cat watched closely for symptoms of any adverse side effects.

      HTH

      Dick

      In a message dated 4/14/2013 11:17:55 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      qso2230@... writes:

      Interesting to know that a long term treatment with aspirin is not
      associated with side effects. The dose is 20 mg, but what is the weight of your
      cat ?

      Christophe

    • nyppsi
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 28, 2014
        My darling boy Jesse, afflicted with HCM his entire life (he had it when we adopted him as a kitten), and developed RCM later in his life, did very well on 20mg of aspirin (I had it compounded into capsules) once daily for his entire life (plus BP meds).

        We were aware that he had HCM when we adopted him, and knowing that the breeder couldn't get anyone to adopt him because of the heart condition & planned to put him down if we didn't (we were his last hope), we made the decision to give him the best life possible for however long he had to live (prognosis was less than 2 years). He was a sweet loving boy & we couldn't bear the thought of him being put down without having a chance to enjoy life.

        Jesse lived a high quality, very happy life for 16 1/2 years & died of a sudden heart attack while being bathed. The cardiologist who had been treating him for much of his life said, based on my describing the circumstances, that Jesse died instantly and very likely felt no pain whatsover (thank goodness). He was convinced that Jesse died of a clot thrown to the heart or to the brain (which caused a massive stroke).

        Aspirin can be a very effective anti-clotting agent --- 16.5 years without throwing a single clot or having a single health crisis of any kind --- and for those cats for whom it works, it seems to work as well or better than Plavix. That having been said, not all cats can tolerate aspirin (but, not all cats can tolerate Plavix either).

        I do think that having it compounded all those years into exact dose capsules helped.

        He was such a gentle sweetie and we miss him terribly. He got along with every single one of our other 14 cats and they all seemed to love him. So much for the "less than 2 year" prognosis!

        Dick