Dandelion leaf as alternative to LASIX?

  • Jane
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 16, 2013
      Hello, I have a kitty named Jasper with a heart murmur, enlarged heart,
      galloping rhythm, some fluid on his lungs and probable CHF. This all came
      about when he had breathing problems with prednisolone when he was treated
      for what we thought was IBD, due to a lot of vomiting (which has stopped).
      It was also possible that the congestion was a URI, so I've been in "wait
      and see mode" I introduced us a couple weeks ago and have been reading but
      not posting.

      Jasper has had a setback today - great difficulty breathing -
      hyperventilating after being messed with by my other cat - and I am rushed
      and upset so forgive me for not recapping more of his history here. In
      general, I am not in favor of extensive medical treatments for Jasper in
      particular, considering he is nervous and high strung. I respect others'
      choices in this regard, but I am trying to treat him with home remedies,
      and if it turns out to be hospice care, then I have made my peace with
      that. But I do want to avoid him being in distress or crisis of course.

      I read an article http://holisticat.com/hcm/All-Pages.html mentioning
      Dandelion leaf as an option to LASIX. Does anyone have any experience or
      feedback on this? thank you kindly, Jane

    • Carol
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 16, 2013
        hi Jane,

        I've used dandelion leaf. It can be useful as a diuretic if the condition is very early and not a lot of fluid, but for anything really serious with fluid buildup, it's not strong enough. I used to use it in addition to Lasix on my angel Sweetie, and for a while we could cut back on the amount of Lasix, but eventually she got to the point where the dandelion wasn't helping much, so we dropped it and just gave Sweetie the Lasix, which eventually really hastened her kidney failure.

        If you're going to try using herbs like dandelion, you really should do it under the supervision of a holistic vet. The dose needs to be calculated based on the cat's weight and the condition of their kidneys.

        Carol

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 16, 2013
          Sure, Jane. I respect your wish to use natural remedies. But dandelion is no substitute for Lasix. Please reconsider using Lasix, a safe and inexpensive medication. You have the power to save Jasper's life, if you are dealing with fluid in and around his lungs by using Lasix. Please understand...Jasper will drown, if he does not get relief from the fluid build up. Believe me, drowning is a horrible death, and though the fluid build can be super fast, the drowning death is not. It will be the worst pain imaginable for your Jasper...I know b/c my cardio vet did not have the good sense to provide my boy with Lasix. So when the fluid build began to build in his lungs without warning, from the first obvious signs of distress to his awful death, took less than an hour. My boy died screaming in my arms as we raced to the vet

          Marianna

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 16, 2013
            Jane,

            The same happened when my cat was given a steroid and it put her into CHF.  It basically uncovered the heart disease.  Lasix is an absolute MUST to rid the fluid.  Please do not try and supplement such an important medication.  Jasper is suffering having breathing difficulty as you describe.

            Cats can live well with heart disease, it doesn't have to be a death sentence where you provide hospice.  A few meds and they can do quite well.

            Laurie

            ________________________________

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 16, 2013
                Hi

                There is no alternative but lasix now and it is an emergency. Dandelion
                leaf is not strong enough once the heart has failed like that. It is cheap and
                a very small pill. You can always add the leaf when he is stable. He is
                drowning now and that is extremely painful and frightening. I understand you
                don't want to use anything but holistic, but there are no real alternatives
                now except to let him pass in peace or use the lasix. Please don't let him
                suffer.

              • OneCalico
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
                  Thank you all for the responses and feedback. I have today started Jasper on one quarter tab of a 12.5 Furosemide/Lasix mg 2x/day. He is not a hardy cat and I'm concerned about adverse effects. I am not a purist where holistic alternatives are concerned. Not convinced they work either, human or pet. Thanks again will post on Jasper's progress. He is stable for the moment and I'm keeping the two cats somewhat separated since the bully cat's "attack" precipitated Jasper's breathing emergency on Tuesday. Started the bully cat on St. John's Wort and Valerian. "Cat from hell" material >^..^< thanks again - Jane

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 18, 2013
                    So glad you decided to go with Lasix! Please keep us posted as to Jasper's progress.
                    All the best to you and your kitties.

                    Marianna

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 30, 2013
                      Hi, Jane.
                      I think you meant to send this post not only to me, but the entire feline-heart group. So I am forwarding it on for you.
                      I'm so sorry Jasper is having difficulties. I can't say either way if Lasix is a factor in this now chronic vomiting each night. What does your vet recommend? The pred may however have more to do with the vomiting in my opinion. But I'm guessing. Hopefully others will respond. Also Lynn in particular may have some valuable input.

                      Marianna

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 30, 2013
                        Jane,

                        I have a tip for the cat u can't pill. Grind the tablet into a really fine powder in a small bowl. Buy some webbox (ul get it online - my wee Mia prefers the chicken flavour). Squirt a tiny wee drop webbox (about half a teaspoonful) into the bowl & mix with the powder until it forms a paste. Then, smear it on the back leg (at the top) and ur cat will definitely lick it off. Result!

                        Good luck with Jasper too & let us know how it all goes :-)

                        Morven n Mia x

                        On 30 Apr 2013, at 18:26, mmayer11@... wrote:

                        > Hi, Jane.
                        > I think you meant to send this post not only to me, but the entire feline-heart group. So I am forwarding it on for you.
                        > I'm so sorry Jasper is having difficulties. I can't say either way if Lasix is a factor in this now chronic vomiting each night. What does your vet recommend? The pred may however have more to do with the vomiting in my opinion. But I'm guessing. Hopefully others will respond. Also Lynn in particular may have some valuable input.
                        >
                        > Marianna

                      • elfinmyst
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 30, 2013
                          Hi

                          Lasix hasn't ever caused any of my cats to vomit, but I suppose anything
                          can react badly and lasix can irritate the stomach lining. I wouldn't stop
                          the lasix, its vital to keep the fluid off the chest. Can you ask for enteric
                          coated lasix from the vet, I`m not sure if that is available everywhere.
                          The other alternative is a change to spironolactone which might reduce the
                          need for lasix.

                          I think I would maybe ask for something like a stomach liner pepcid
                          (famotidine)? Unfortunately fluid on the lungs is life threatening, and that requ
                          ires lasix. So gastric coated lasix or a stomach liner might be in order.
                          Time to talk to the vet.

                        • snickfly
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 30, 2013
                            I am new here, but the first thing that comes to mind is call the vet and see if there is another medicine you can give him or maybe he needs pepsid or something like that? Also, do you feed him after the meds? My vet has always recommended at least a spoonful of wet food or some treats after pilling to make sure the meds get all the way down the esophagus, because many can cause esophageal erosion if they get stuck or start to dissolve in the esophagus.

                            Sorry you are having issues with your other kitty. I know the feeling. I had been working on trying to integrate my Charlie prior to his diagnosis. But that is now on hold. So he lives upstairs and the rest live downstairs during the day and at night he sleeps in the spare room while the others can come in my room. It definitely gets a bit hectic at times!

                            Anne