Houdini update (was coming off anesthesia)

  • Diane
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12, 2013
      We actually left her at the vet because while waiting for my bf to
      arrive, her temp was coming up and she was pinking up. The more the
      vet looked at her, the more she felt it was a throat issue. Lungs
      were fine.

      We had plans to call at 8 to see how she was, and either bring her
      home or to an overnight vet for observation.

      We got home around 6 and the vet just called, Houdini's heart rate
      dropped and she crashed and died. The vet was going to start some
      fluids on her shortly.

      She's offered to examine her to try and find out what happened.

      So sad, all I wanted was for her to be happy about eating again. I
      wonder if I should have started the hyper-t meds before the dental?
      :(

      The end of an era, she is the last from a litter of 3 I caught in my
      yard in 1996. I promised them a good life with sun, food and a roof
      over their heads and damned if they didn't get it.

      Diane
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12, 2013
        Oh, this is heart-breaking, I am so sorry. Unfortunately our kitties are
        very fragile and we never get to keep them as long as we want. But she was
        so blessed to have you to take care of her, especially during her illness.
        And she gave you all her love in return. All we can do is the best we
        can, and you did everything possible for her. Your little girl is healthy again now and waiting for you at the Bridge -- I know we will see our little ones again.

        When you feel up to it, please post a memorial to her on our site
        http://www.AngelKitties.com -- we'd love to see her photo and hear how you
        met. All kitties are welcome, no matter how long they've been in heaven.

        Sincerely, Michelle, Susie Q & Tigger Too in Toronto

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 13, 2013
          The vet called last night after examining her and really can't find a
          cause for her death. (I had been dozing so I was a bit groggy
          unfortunately!)

          She had an enlarged heart, gall bladder stones and her liver was
          mottled. I don't think she found anything in her throat to cause the
          little gagging issue she had. I'll have to double check on the
          possible embolism to her lungs, the vet had been concerned about it
          but I think what she said last night was that she didn't see any
          evidence.

          This whole thing is so weird, she was acting ok when we brought her
          home Thursday night, just a little disoriented!

          Diane

          At 6:46 PM -0400 4/12/13, Diane wrote:

          >We actually left her at the vet because while waiting for my bf to
          >arrive, her temp was coming up and she was pinking up. The more the
          >vet looked at her, the more she felt it was a throat issue. Lungs
          >were fine.
          >
          >We had plans to call at 8 to see how she was, and either bring her
          >home or to an overnight vet for observation.
          >
          >We got home around 6 and the vet just called, Houdini's heart rate
          >dropped and she crashed and died. The vet was going to start some
          >fluids on her shortly.
          >
          >She's offered to examine her to try and find out what happened.
          >
          >So sad, all I wanted was for her to be happy about eating again. I
          >wonder if I should have started the hyper-t meds before the dental?
          >:(
          >
          >The end of an era, she is the last from a litter of 3 I caught in my
          >yard in 1996. I promised them a good life with sun, food and a roof
          >over their heads and damned if they didn't get it.
          >
          >Diane
        • marycayd
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 13, 2013
            So sorry for your loss. This is never easy. She was happy when she was with you & now she’s happy at the bridge playing in the sunshine waiting to see you and her litter mates again.

            Marycay