Re: [FH] Aspirin

  • nyppsi
    Message 1 of 32 , Apr 12, 2013
      Marycay,

      My HCM/RCM kitty Jesse (15 y.o. Persian tuxedo) has been taking 20mg of
      baby aspirin twice a week for about three years, and I've seen no negative
      side effects. The aspirin was prescribed by a veterinary cardiologist. He gets
      a capsule on Tuesdays and Fridays.

      I get the aspirin compounded into 20mg gelatin capsules at a pharmacy that
      compounds animal meds. The price is very reasonable for the compounding.

      Dick

      marycayd@... writes: <<When my almost 3 year old HCM kitty Jetsam
      had his yearly check up yesterday, the vet recommend 1/4 baby aspirin
      every 3-4 days. In checking this out on the web I came across many articles
      that say it's poisonous to cats. I will call the vet tomorrow to discuss this,
      but in the mean time, I'd really like to know whether others have given
      aspirin to their cats & if so what were your experiences.>>

    • nyppsi
      Message 32 of 32 , Sep 28, 2014
        My darling boy Jesse, afflicted with HCM his entire life (he had it when we adopted him as a kitten), and developed RCM later in his life, did very well on 20mg of aspirin (I had it compounded into capsules) once daily for his entire life (plus BP meds).

        We were aware that he had HCM when we adopted him, and knowing that the breeder couldn't get anyone to adopt him because of the heart condition & planned to put him down if we didn't (we were his last hope), we made the decision to give him the best life possible for however long he had to live (prognosis was less than 2 years). He was a sweet loving boy & we couldn't bear the thought of him being put down without having a chance to enjoy life.

        Jesse lived a high quality, very happy life for 16 1/2 years & died of a sudden heart attack while being bathed. The cardiologist who had been treating him for much of his life said, based on my describing the circumstances, that Jesse died instantly and very likely felt no pain whatsover (thank goodness). He was convinced that Jesse died of a clot thrown to the heart or to the brain (which caused a massive stroke).

        Aspirin can be a very effective anti-clotting agent --- 16.5 years without throwing a single clot or having a single health crisis of any kind --- and for those cats for whom it works, it seems to work as well or better than Plavix. That having been said, not all cats can tolerate aspirin (but, not all cats can tolerate Plavix either).

        I do think that having it compounded all those years into exact dose capsules helped.

        He was such a gentle sweetie and we miss him terribly. He got along with every single one of our other 14 cats and they all seemed to love him. So much for the "less than 2 year" prognosis!

        Dick