Dizziness/ataxia?

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 10, 2013
      Rhapsody had some kind of brief episode a little while ago, right
      after breakfast (which he'd eaten with his usual enthusiasm). He was
      sitting up, and then he sort of raised his left front leg and started
      wobbling and leaning toward the left. His head was tilted slightly
      back and leftward. He did not fall over, just leaned and wobbled for a
      few moments and then slowly lay down. His breathing did not seem
      abnormal during this episode.

      A few minutes later he was up and walking around and eating other
      cats' breakfast leftovers. It looked to me like he might have had a
      dizzy spell.

      He seems fine now, but I'm worried because the last time I had to rush
      him to the hospital (where the ER vet was pessimistic about his
      chances for surviving the night), the respiratory crisis was preceded
      by what looked like a transient episode of ataxia, stumbling and
      falling while walking, several hours earlier. It could be an early
      warning sign that a major attack is coming. :-(

      I called the hospital and reported this to an ER vet tech, who said
      that she will update Rhapsody's doctor and (of course) that I should
      watch him closely and call or bring him in if I start noticing
      breathing difficulties.

      Does this sound like ordinary asthma? It looks to me like maybe he has
      some neurological issues as well. There's obviously something going on
      with his lungs (bronchointerstitial pattern on radiographs), and his
      heart (murmur and moderate caudal vena cava enlargement; the
      cardiologist does not believe his heart function is compromised at
      this time), but would any of those account for transient episodes of
      wobbliness without obvious respiratory distress (at least not until
      several hours later)?

      Last time he was in the ER, I talked briefly with the doctor who was
      in that night (who was seeing him for the first time and is not the
      main doctor in charge of Rhapsody's case there) about the possibility
      of neurological involvement. Given that Rhapsody's mother was
      under/malnourished throughout her pregnancy and the first few weeks of
      nursing, and that Rhapsody has lagged behind his littermate in growth
      and development, and often has an immature or ataxic-looking gait, and
      seems prone to having major crashes where his body temperature drops
      *and* his gums go white *and* he has labored breathing *and* he is
      ataxic either during or shortly before the crash--given all that, is
      it likely that he also has some brainstem abnormality?

      Has anybody seen anything like this before?

      Jim Sinclair jisincla@...
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 10, 2013
        Hi Jim

        This seems exactly the same as my Arnold had several years ago. Head
        tilted, slow movements, very dilated pupils. It was a stroke which caused it,
        but not sure if a bleed or a blood clot. Arnold recovered quickly and over the
        next few days made a complete and full recovery. Cats arenot like humans
        with certain parts of the brain dedicated to certain functions, other parts
        of their brains can take over the damaged parts.