Introducing Larry (and question about CoQ10 and taurine)

  • Rachel
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10, 2013
      Hello! I joined the community a while ago, but this is my first time posting.

      I've bought some CoQ10 (powder in capsules) and taurine (powder) supplements to try with my cat Larry, who has VSD, but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on HOW to give them? Do they need to be dissolved in water, or taken with a certain type of food (fat, protein, etc.)?

      Also, what dosages do other people use?

      Larry eats mostly wet food, and that's how he takes his other tablets too. Of course, he's also been incredibly picky recently and only wants to eat one type of fish...or sometimes fish/chicken cat soup from my fingers--spoilt boy! ;)

      Any ideas for getting the supplements into him or encouraging him to eat other foods would be much appreciated!

      For anyone who's interested, a history of Larry (sorry, it's a bit long!):

      Larry is a 7-month-old mix, who came to use when he was a month old. A friend and found him wandering in front of her house, incredibly skinny, but couldn't keep him; we had been planning to take in a cat, so it was destiny! He was diagnosed with suspected tetralogy of fallot in December of last year. His breathing had always seemed a bit on the heavy side, but as he's my first feline friend I hoped I was worrying for nothing and it was normal! I took him to the vet when he lost his appetite during a bad cold, and that's when we found out about his heart problems. (He had been to the vet before that, but they somehow missed it...)

      Our vet recommended that we take him to the university hospital to get a second opinion and official diagnosis, which we finally did two weeks ago. There, they decided he actually has VSD (Ventricular Septal Defect). Unfortunately, the trip to the university vet was very stressful for him, and by the time we arrived he was open-mouth breathing and had to be put in the oxygen chamber. They changed his medicine from atenolol to carvedilol, and told us that his condition was very serious but he didn't think there was fluid in his lungs yet, so there wasn't much else to be done for now.

      After that Larry had really bad episodes (panting with his mouth open, breaths per minute around 100) almost everyday T_T. We changed him back to the atenolol, which has helped a bit, and on Monday he started furosemide too. We've not been able to get him back to our vet because his condition has been so unstable, but she thought he might have fluid build up and agreed to prescribe 4 days of furosemide without seeing him.

      Thankfully, he hasn't had an episode since then! The vet has emphasised how bad his condition is, so we know we might not have long with him, but we're trying to work out how we can help him at least feel a bit better. And we're hoping he'll surprise us!
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 10, 2013
        Hi

        I also have a cat with a VSD and ASD as well. She was diagnosed at 12 weeks
        and I was told they rarely lived more than a year or so. Milli is 7 this
        June. She is on various drugs and they have added more as she got worse. She
        takes atenolol, vetmedin, fortekor, spiro, lasix, plavix and CoQ at 30mg.
        She has had CoQ since 12 weeks old. Vetmedin (pimobendan) has been
        fantastic for her.

        It is important Larry gets cat food as they need taurine and other vitamins
        and minerals. I'd try lots of different ones to find a good one. I would
        buy the liquid CoQ in capsules as you can pierce the capsule and squeeze it
        on to the tongue or paw or mix it with food. Milli is greedy and eats all
        her pills wrapped in chicken or in paste.

        It is important to get th efluid off his lungs so you are doing well to
        have the furosemide (lasix) . You need to know what his normal resting
        breathing rate is so you can pick up changes quickly. Larry might also need
        another heart drug like fortekor which Milli has been on since diagnosis. I would
        ring the cardiologist at the university and tell them Larry has gone into
        heart failure and ask for another opinion on adding more drugs.

        Lyn:)

      • rosemariewentz@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 10, 2013
          My kitty is on CoQ10 at 50mg a day. I use a semi paste form and just place
          it under his lip. He doesn't spit it out and its been a few months. I just
          started taurine at 300mg a day but I've heard some people are on 1400mg. I
          read that u can't OD on taurine and unused taurine is flushed from the body.
          Its water soluble and the one I have has no taste whatsoever. So mixing in
          food or water should be fine.

          Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless