Josh

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 2013
      Hi all

      It is Josh I write about today. Josh is 16 and has had moderate HCM for 7
      years. He also has mild kidney failure and is hyperthyroid. He takes
      fortekor 5mg, felimasole, spiro, lasix and CoQ. His weight is stable and his
      thyroid under control.

      Last week we noticed a large amount of blood, bright fresh red, in his
      stool. He was put on antibiotics for colitis but it continued to get worse. I
      know steroids are bad for HCM cats but in this case he needed them as the
      diagnosis was lymphoma of the bowel or severe colitis. So he has 5mg
      prednisolone twice a day and a stronger antibiotic. But the blood is continuing
      and not getting any better. It's fresh and some drips out after a motion.

      Has anyone any other ideas? He's not anaemic yet and his kidney and liver
      results showed mild kidney failure and the liver was ok.

    • r schu
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2013
        Lyn,

        I'm really no expert and could be way off base, but what about an intestinal bleed? Could that be causing blood in his poop? Maybe from acidic issues from failing kidneys? Just a shot in the dark, but wanted to mention it.

        -Lee and May

        ==================
        Josh
        Mon Apr 8, 2013 2:39 am (PDT) . Posted by:
[...]

        Lyn
      • elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 2013
          Hi

          Thankyou for all the great ideas. I have ordered the Jarrow formula
          pet-dophilus. He is taking marbocyl as an antibiotic but I will ask about flagyl.
          There is still bright red fresh blood, but is eating hungrily. He is not a
          candidate for surgery sadly with his health conditions.

          Lyn:)