Re: [FH] Allergies ?

  • Dana McCormick
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2013
      Hi Linda,

      Please don't give pred. I posted a day or so ago that I gave my heart dog one pred pill and she was gone 15 hrs later. This was before I became proactive to learrn things, join groups, etc. This was the board certified internist that prescribed the pred for her allergies when he was treating her for her heart disease. I would never give a steroid to my heart kitties.

      Dana

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2013
        Hi

        I would never use pred in a heart kitty unless the benefit outweighed the
        risk, and pred was needed for quality of life. I would try every alternative
        first.

        A few ideas, have you used a good flea treatment from the vet? Have you
        tried a more holisitc diet like a high meat food ? Change all your cat food
        and water bowls to ceramic or metal, some cats (including 2 of mine) get
        dermatitis from plastic bowls.

        Has he had tests to see if anything else is causing it? Liver disease for
        example can cause itching.

      • Jordan Salim
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2013
          May I suggest trying Claratin? I sometimes give it to Sheba and her cardiologist approves.

          Jordan and Sheebs

          Sent from my iPad
        • elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5, 2013
            This was for group) :)

            Hey there,

            I don't believe it's fleas. This happens every Spring and Fall and we
            just moved to Northern AZ and the wind has been blowing like crazy so everyone
            here in the house is dealing with bad allergies.

            We have both of our cats on a Hills Science Z/D Allergen Free diet so I
            doubt it's food. I really think its in the air.

            We did have allergy testing done on Frasier and the poor guy is allergic
            to everything. We spoke with his cardio. and he told us not to do the
            treatment that he has not found much success with it and it would be a waist of
            money.

            I really think we just need to find the right allergy med to help him get
            thru the spring and fall.

            We are trying to save up for a Alpine Air Purifier for the house but it's
            so hard to save when you have to special needs cats. LOL

            I didn't know you could give Claritin to a cat so I have put in a call to
            his cardio to see what he thinks.

            Thank you all for the advice and suggestions which is helping me to think
            of other options.

            If you have any other thoughts please let me know.

            Linda / Frasier

          • Janie
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6, 2013
              I cant remember the allergy meds Boomer took tis an old one begins with T and its sold over the counter. Dont get anything with D in it.

              Our dog years ago had severe allergies and we got shots and gave them to her and it did good. So I think your cardio is wrong. It is expensive. I have a beagle now who is real allergic. He takes temeril-p but it is for a dog it sure helps. I know if he gets real bad he takes a depo shot and a kitty with heart cant do that. I would make sure he has flea meds on anyway. Our dog will prob go on shots as he is on ZD and he still scratches year round. Trees are really bad here. Watch what is bad in your area hope it will be just a seasonal. I think our dog is allergic to something in our house and hes not allergic to cat or dust. My carpet sure isnt wool so I dont know what. Hes always scratching. Janie