Pill dosing / SOLUTION

  • Jordan
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2013
      As I suspected, one day Sheba would not take her Plavix in a pill pocket. So I needed a back up plan. Sheba is a heart and asthmatic kitty and pilling her can trigger an asthma attack.

      Yesterday was that day. So I pulled out Back up plan #1 and it WORKED like a charm. I opened a can of Underwood's chicken spread. The moment the can opened up, her little sniffer started going. I could not cover the Plavix (in half a gelcap) fast enough witht the chicken paste . . .and she GOBBLED IT up, asking for more!!!

      http://www.amazon.com/Underwood-Liver-Wurst-Spread-4-25-Ounce/dp/B0017OEYB4

      I did not give her more because I suspected it is high is salt, but a little dab is all it took. The brand offers several spreads (beef, deviled ham, chicken, liverwurst)

      Hope this helps others.

      Love and kitty kisses,

      Jordan and Sheba

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2013
        Hi Jordan

        I have been using paste for a while, usually chicken. They line up at pill
        time desperate for it. We use chicken slices as well sometimes. I've tried
        various pastes but Tesco chicken works for us .:) I`m glad you found
        something!

      • Jordan Salim
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2013
          Hi Lyn,

          can you send me a link for your product ? I would like to try it.

          Thank you,
          Jordan

          Sent from my iPad
        • Elise Eisfelder
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 6, 2013
            I just looked up the ingredients in Underwood liverwutst spread and wonder if you are aware it contains onion which is not safe for cats as it can cause Heinz body anemia.

            Elise

            Sent from my iPhone
          • elfinmyst
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6, 2013
              I looked in the chicken paste I use and it has a small amount of onion in
              it. But I`ve been using this for years and they only get a small amount.
              It's the only paste that seems to work for me. I'd need to start looking up
              how much onion was safe, but mine seem fine using it in small amounts.

            • Jordan
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 7, 2013
                I do not not use Underwood's liverworst, I use the chicken spread. But as Lyn was stating it is small amounts of onion (listed more than half way through the list of ingredients) and I only dab a small amount (for smell) on top of the pill pocket to get her to eat it.

                And of course that is only the days she will not eat the pill pocket directly, which is rare. It is risks vs benefits.

                Thank you,
                Jordan and Sheba