RE: [FH] Giving medicine tabs to "refusnik"

  • Mary Sue Rubin
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2013
      Hi Carol,

      I have luck with Pill Pockets most of the time, but when that doesn't work I
      roll them in powdered dehydrated fish, made for cats. I have whitefish and
      salmon and I just crumble the fish and roll the filled Pill Pocket in it. If
      that doesn't work you can roll the pill in a little butter ball and freeze.
      Once frozen you have to act quickly and pop them down the cat's throat
      before they melt in your hand. If that doesn't work I would try a small
      empty capsule with the pill in it and coat it with butter and pop it down
      her throat or use a pill gun.

      Good luck.

      Mary Sue

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2013
        Hi Carol

        I would advise you see the cardiologist earlier. Prednisolone is a steroid
        and can be very dangerous to cats at risk of heart failure as it can push
        them into it. There are several members here who joined after giving
        prednisolone or similar steroids and their cats ended up in heart failure.

        As for pilling, I have tried chicken, paste with success. But in a
        reluctant piller, I would ask the pharmacy to compound pills into a beef flavour
        liquid which you can syringe into their mouth or spread onto the paw fur to
        be licked off if there is no other alternative. Finally, there is the pill
        popper from the vet but I would only use that as a last resort.

      • Dana McCormick
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2013
          From: Carol <belaire56@...>
          To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
          Date: Tuesday, April 2, 2013, 9:57 PM

          Hello, All,
          New today to this site. Hope to learn ways of giving asthma med in tablet form to a "way too smart for her own good" Burmese, "Burma".
          She is 8 years old.

          I give her Albuterol and Fluticasone each 2x daily. (Inhalation)

          However, with the excessive pollen , she is having a very difficult time. And after x rays we have found an elarged heart.
          When she is much better, we will go to a cardiologist for either an
          echocardiagram or ultra sound and then medicate as required.

          The tablet is combo of prednisone/antihistamine.

          Any suggestions? She refuses Greenies and also Pillbuddies, the latter given today without a pill and she didn't even try it.

          Thank you for your suggestions! Carol

        • r schu
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2013
            I agree, I gave May prednisolone (sp) last summer for an unknown mass and within a day she had fluid in her lungs (possibly heart), and this brought out the hcm diagnosis.

            So please be careful giving any form of pred in a heart kitty. I wish I knew this then so we could have avoided an e.r. visit and large doses of lasix on her kidneys.

            -Lee and May

            2d
            Re: Giving medicine tabs to "refusnik"
            Wed Apr 3, 2013 7:10 am (PDT) . Posted by:
            "Dana McCormick" danamcmk