Re: Talk to me about benazepril as well

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 27, 2013
      Hi Karen

      My boy with CRF has been on benazepril for years. Try reading this link,
      it's given to cats in the UK for HCM and for kidney disease. Maybe thete's a
      special circumstance for your kitty?

      _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benazepril_
      (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benazepril)

    • Karen
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 27, 2013
        Yeah, I just don't know. I haven't talked with her directly, she just left me a message saying that. I do know that Bob's kidneys are quite small. When he was first diagnosed, his numbers were off the chart and the doctor pretty much just gave us weeks. But under the care of his current doctor, his numbers look good on paper. They're a little high, but nothing like what they'd been before.

        When he was at the cardiologist, they ran a limited blood panel to get an idea of where he was on Tuesday, after having been off sub-Q fluids for 5 days.

        His BUN was 55, and his Crea was 4.1 Both are quite high, but again, he'd been off fluids. I don't think he's had a UPC test in a while, which some sites seem to show as an important indicator in whether or not to Rx benazepril, but I can't imagine his protein isn't high, considering the state of his kidneys.

        :sigh:

        This is just so darn stressful. How you all do it is amazing to me.

        Karen
      • r schu
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 28, 2013
          Karen,

          I'm struggling with the same thing. May has crf for 3.5 years now and hcm as of this summer. In Feb she has fainting spells that we think were fluid around her heart. The echo showed the fluid.

          I researched the hec out of benazepril before putting her on it. Her crea was 3.5 from blood draw at the e.r. on the night of the fainting spells. It went to 4.9 and 5.1 after starting lasix (low dose) and cutting sub q in half from 100 to 50 per day. After two weeks on benaz her crea is 4.9 and the cardiologist thinks this is good. I guess it hasn't risen since starting benaz and she is actually eating more since then as well.

          My research showed it lowers bp in the kidneys and this is a delicate thing to balance. May seems to be doing well. The benaz is for her heart, to stop vaso constriction (I think it is), which is what ace inhibitors do.

          Good luck with what you decide. We found a very good cardiologist, one who seems to really care and follow up, and knows his stuff. Some vets prescribe benaz for crf, but our cardiologist prescribed it in spite of her crf.

          Hope this helps.

          -Lee and May

          Re: Talk to me about benazepril as well
          Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:07 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
          "Karen" krprice.rm