Re: Cat still losing weight, how can I encourage him to eat more?

  • binarina1
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 26, 2013
      Hello.

      I'm in the UK too.

      And I'm having the same problem. My cat is not wanting to eat after an overnight vets stay.

      Sardines in tomato sauce (I rinse the sauce off under the tap) seem to help. My cat nibbles at that. He likes whiskas Katzinis too. You could try baby food, but make sure it's garlic and onion free. I've bought some nurish um from pets at home, he'll lick that off my finger.

      I've got him on an appetite stimulant, but it disagrees with him. So I'm trying my best just to offer foods I think he'll like.

      I bought orijen which isn't cheap, he wouldn't eat a single one.

      He could have a vitamin injection? You could ask your vet about that.

      Other than than its just trial and error really. I hope his appetite picks up.

      Sara.

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Jane Phillips" <jphill49@...> wrote:

      > Harry is nearly 5yo and was diagnosed with mild hcm when he was 2. He didn't need medication until a month ago following a virus which made his murmur much worse. He had lost weight and his heart rate was over 200, his murmur was grade 4 and the cardio vet was very concerned. So he now has half an atenolol pill twice a day (65mg). Today's scan showed a big improvement, heart rate down to 140 and murmur,grade 2. But his weight has dropped again. The vet suggested giving him more treats and getting him to eat more but he won't eat treats since he twigged his medicine was in them! So now now I just pill him, but how do I get him to eat more? The other problem is he has a sensitive tummy so have to be careful what he eats. Any suggestions would be good, he needs to put on weight. I'm in the UK by the way.

    • CHRISTINA FELTY
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 26, 2013
        For one of my hard to put on weight kitties, I use the Cat-Sure to add extra fluid (and calories) into his canned foods. I also give him "snack" of a kitty crack canned food (aka gravy fancy feast flavors).

        Thanks

        Christina

        On Mar 26, 2013, at 10:31 AM, Jane Phillips <jphill49@...> wrote:

        > Harry is nearly 5yo and was diagnosed with mild hcm when he was 2. He didn't need medication until a month ago following a virus which made his murmur much worse. He had lost weight and his heart rate was over 200, his murmur was grade 4 and the cardio vet was very concerned. So he now has half an atenolol pill twice a day (65mg). Today's scan showed a big improvement, heart rate down to 140 and murmur,grade 2. But his weight has dropped again. The vet suggested giving him more treats and getting him to eat more but he won't eat treats since he twigged his medicine was in them! So now now I just pill him, but how do I get him to eat more? The other problem is he has a sensitive tummy so have to be careful what he eats. Any suggestions would be good, he needs to put on weight. I'm in the UK by the way.
        >
        > __.

      • marianna.mayer
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 26, 2013
          Poor Harry...
          Please join the yahoo Feline-Assisted-Feeding group. Although you may not need to manually assist feed, you will find lots of info regarding feeding Harry. The members in this group are fantastic....as is Feline-heart.
          Since his tummy is sensitive, slippery elm bark powder made into a syrup by adding fresh water may help with that. But first let us know how you do with the Feline-Assisted-Feeding group.

          Marianna

          For one of my hard to put on weight kitties, I use the Cat-Sure to add extra fluid (and calories) into his canned foods. I also give him "snack" of a kitty crack canned food (aka gravy fancy feast flavors).

          Thanks

          Christina

          On Mar 26, 2013, at 10:31 AM, Jane Phillips <jphill49@...> wrote:

          > Harry is nearly 5yo and was diagnosed with mild hcm when he was 2. He didn't need medication until a month ago following a virus which made his murmur much worse. He had lost weight and his heart rate was over 200, his murmur was grade 4 and the cardio vet was very concerned. So he now has half an atenolol pill twice a day (65mg). Today's scan showed a big improvement, heart rate down to 140 and murmur,grade 2. But his weight has dropped again. The vet suggested giving him more treats and getting him to eat more but he won't eat treats since he twigged his medicine was in them! So now now I just pill him, but how do I get him to eat more? The other problem is he has a sensitive tummy so have to be careful what he eats. Any suggestions would be good, he needs to put on weight. I'm in the UK by the way.
          >
          > __.

        • Jordan
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 27, 2013
            I have had luck with Royal Canin's Recovery diet. It is a vet diet that does requires a prescription, but it does work. It is a smelly pate style can food, but entices kitties. Packed with calories too.

            I have tried supplimenting food with Nutrical too, but I did not have as much success with that. Recovery Diet can be syringed fed too if need be.

            Good luck,
            Jordan and Sheba

          • Karen
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 27, 2013
              I have had some luck getting Mr. Bob to eat more by squeezing a fish oil capsule on his food. I have also been known to make a tuna-broth mixture by putting canned tuna in a small pot and adding a couple of cups of water and letting it simmer for about an hour. This will give you some tuna water that you can add to any food to make it smell good. It also has the benefit of adding more water to the food, which is usually a good thing.

              Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be! I have pictures of the time when Mr. Bob was first Dx with his kidney failure and was not eating at all, and I'd tried to entice him with a whole smorgasbord of foods, so he would often have four or five bowls and plates around him.

              Karen