Famotidine dosage

  • lilloise52
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
      Hello,

      I am new to this forum... I have an 11 year old tabby recently diagnosed with CKF. My doctor has advised to give her 10mg/day of Famotidine, given in two doses of 5mg each, 12 hours apart...

      Is that dosage a common dosage given that meds will remain longer in their system due to lack of hydration.

      Thank you for any ideas or experience you might provide.

      (Tigg was diagnosed with HCM along with her sister when they were 5 years old, we have since lost her sister at age 7 3/4. Tigg is now 11 yers old and about 14.5 lbs as of this writing).
    • Carol
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
        Hi,

        Giving 10mg twice a day of famotidine is WAY TOO MUCH! The common dosage is 2.5mg (1/4 of a 10mg tablet) twice a day. Here is a link to Tanya's site. http://www.felinecrf.org/nausea_vomiting_stomach_acid.htm This is the suggested dosages from that page.

        Starting dose: 2.5 mg once every other day (i.e. quarter of a 10mg tablet once every two days e.g. on Mon, Wed, Fri)

        Intermediate dose: 2.5mg once a day (i.e. quarter of a 10mg tablet once a day)

        Maximum dose: 2.5mg twice a day (i.e. quarter of a 10mg tablet twice a day, 5mg a day in total)

        I've never given more than 2.5 mg once or twice a day.

        Carol

        I am new to this forum... I have an 11 year old tabby recently diagnosed with CKF. My doctor has advised to give her 10mg/day of Famotidine, given in two doses of 5mg each, 12 hours apart...

        Is that dosage a common dosage given that meds will remain longer in their system due to lack of hydration.

        Thank you for any ideas or experience you might provide.

        (Tigg was diagnosed with HCM along with her sister when they were 5 years old, we have since lost her sister at age 7 3/4. Tigg is now 11 yers old and about 14.5 lbs as of this writing).

        #AOLMsgPart_1_4bc5ad39-d4d3-4fdf-9458-7b62455da331 td{color: black;}

      • elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
          Hi

          I have never used this drug, but I did find this site for you. I was very
          interested in this drug for my CRF cat, Josh.

          _http://www.felinecrf.org/nausea_vomiting_stomach_acid.htm_
          (http://www.felinecrf.org/nausea_vomiting_stomach_acid.htm)

          There is info under drugs. I`m not sure if the site is written by an expert
          or not, but it seems to have great information. Below is a more
          professional site.

          _http://www.vetinfo.com/famotidine-side-effects-in-cats.html_
          (http://www.vetinfo.com/famotidine-side-effects-in-cats.html)

          It seems from these sites your cat is on a very high dose. But please don't
          reduce it before speaking to your vet. From most sites it seems The usual
          dose in cats is 0.22mg per pound every 12 to 24 hours.

        • Elise Eisfelder
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
            I've had to give famotidine before and the largest amount I've seen anyone give is 2.5 twice a day. Cats that have higher creatinine get it once a day or every other day. Please ask your vet about this.

            Sent from my iPhone
          • Mary Sue Rubin
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 26, 2013
              My cat started on 10mg twice a day, which is twice what your cat is now
              getting. Within about a week her ascites resolved and we gradually weaned
              her down to 5 mg once a day. That works for her now, but we keep an eye on
              her. It all depends on the cat and the situation at the moment and the
              dosage might have to be adjusted in the future.

              .

              Mary Sue