update on May

  • r schu
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 25 4:39 PM
      Thought I'd post an update on May since her fainting spells 2/19:

      We seem to be balancing her crf and hcm, with low dose lasix 3mg, 1.25 plavix, and 1.25 benazepril since 3/7, all qd. Fluids reduced to 50cc/day with 10cc added orally, as well as her crf regimen. Her respiration and hr have lowered to comfortable levels and retest of blood to see if the benazepril was harming kidneys showed slight phos elevation, crea 4.9.

      Crea was 3.5 before this started one month ago, so I'm not happy about 4.9, and assume azodyl has these results lower than 'actual' kidney function. But our cardiologist doesn't want any more fluids or reduction in the benaz dose, and is very happy to see her kidney values leveling off, all be it, at this higher level.

      May has been eating much more on her own since before the benaz, but since benaz, even more. Worry wort that I am, I thought hyper t, but no!, that's normal, so...she's doing really well, if I didn't know her crea was 4.9 I'd not see it in her increased appetite as well as increased energy level. Phos is as high as it's been, but still not bad.

      What the vets all say is stress: high wbc and nuetrophils, I don't think is stress.

      But! Thursday she was pawing at her mouth, gagging with food, hurting! Vet said blood didn't show infection so watch her. I gave her some buprenex for pain and set in for a night of worry. Early a.m., she drank and ate on her own! Seemed ok, and full of cheek rubbing, seeming no pain. Then I found it, A TOOTH under the pillow, front left lower fang, rotted inside and severed at the gum
      line, looks like a mini shark's tooth.

      I wonder if the high wbc could have been a rotten tooth.

      She seems fine, possibly the root re-absorbed. She's eating, and except for an elevated resp and hr yesterday (so I skipped fluids last night), and back to normal today, is doing well.

      I wish the same to all other kitties on this list.

      -Lee and May
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 25 5:25 PM
        Hi Lee

        It's good May is eating more, she is feeling better. An increase in kidney
        values is expected, but my girl's increase has been quite stable.

        High WBC usually means fighting off an infection. Are you sure there is no
        root left in as the nerves would get exposed which is painful., Roots to
        reabsorb. My Vannie had a tooth out and it was far too short and the vet put
        a probe and it went straight to the fur of her chin. No root at all. Might
        be worth just getting it checked there's nothing left impacted in there
        although lack of pain is a good sign.

        :) I`m happy she is feeling better. Hope the tooth fairy brings a treat:)

      • r schu
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2013
          Just to follow up. Cardiologist said venous blood gas results are meaningless, so not to worry. (I'm still not sure why the blood results list ranges for arterial as well as venous blood gasses, but...)

          Follow up blood showed crea at 4.6 so the 2.8 was likely a lab error.

          Miss May has been extremely lazy in this heat wave we've been having, lounging around all stretched out. I've given some extra fluid orally, and she seems quite comfortable. Respiration has been good and this morning, no arrythmia, just a 164 heart rate after eating.

          So except for a few out of range blood results (ca) and kidney values, the upped dose of lasix, 3oed, 3+3eod, seems to have things under control.

          Hope all your kitties are doing well, and surviving the heat wave that is almost over in New England, USA.

          -Lee and May