Re: How long does Enalapril work?

  • rosemairew20
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 24, 2013
      The emergency vet did say that if there was fluid pressing against the outside of the lungs the only way to know is with an xray. He also said we could run all kinds of tests but we know he has CHF and felt that this was "just progression of the disease."

      I called my regular vet today as they have a wildlife rescue as well and they have someone there everyday from 9am-5pm. I told them what was going on and how the emergency vet didn't provide me with any help.

      My vet is so awesome she came in today (Sunday) just to see Baxter. She too heard no fluid and felt around his lungs and couldn't feel and fluid either. Since he has had 4 clot events int he last 9 days she felt that a clot was probably lodged in his lungs. She said his breathing was shallow and at 84bpm, heart rate was 150bpm and she heard no arrhythmia. We did another DMSO treatment to break up the clot and he is on bed rest. That was at 11am, by 3 pm he was sleeping soundly and breathing normal again with long slow breaths. When he wakes up he does had teh faster breathing but no where new as labored or as fast as it was last night and this morning. He's still feeling pretty crappy from the DMSO but that should go away in a day or two.

      But he's still not drinking much and only eating a little bit, really the most he has eaten is the treats I put his meds into. I'm grateful he is still eating his meds, I don't want to stress him out anymore.

      I'm hoping he will be back to his old self in a few days. But I am worried that if he is still not feeling well later this week I may need to make the extremely hard decision. I hope it won't come to that.

      My vet does want to get a second opinion from another cardiologist. Right now we have no answers as to what caused or type of CHF my Baxter has. Its "unclassified", the heart walls are thin, no murmur and valves are functioning and not letting blood flow backwards, and the left atrium is enlarged. We just don't know what we are treating for, its so frustrating not knowing if this was a birth defect, damage from a disease like Bartonella, etc.

      I should create a post asking if anyone else has Unclassified CHF I'd be interested to know their experiences.