Re: How long does Enalapril work?

  • rosemairew20
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 24 7:09 AM
      Baxters breathing did get worse so I took him into the emergency vet. They told me he is not in CHF and no sound of fluid on the lungs. Only explanation he gave was that Baxter is having arythmias and sent me home. From what I have read is that cats commonly have irregular heartbeat especially when stressed. Im now home and Baxter is wheezing, very labored breathing and overall unhappy not feeling well look on his face.

      I don't know what to do. Im going to try and get hold of my regular vet today but not sure if ill have any luck. Im on the boarder of calling the in home euthanasia vet because he just looks so miserable.

      He is still eating his treats with meds inside.

      1.25mg enalapril AM/PM
      12.5mg furosimide am/pm and 6.25mg at noon.

      > Hi Rose
      >
      > Any change in breathing rate or quality is a red flag. I would get to the
      > vet or cardiologist as soon as possible after giving extra lasix . Can you
      > tell us what doses he is on of enalapril and lasix? I would not increase the
      > enalapril without talking to the vet. He may need another medication added
      > , an increase in diuretic or the addtion of a second diuretic, but the
      > best person to fix that is the cardiologist.
      >
      > Lyn

    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 24 7:21 AM
        I am shocked they would release Baxter with labored breathing, regardless of cause.  Is there another emergency vet in the area?  I know you don't want to stress him out, but you have to figure out the cause to remedy it.  I am surprised he is eating with troubled breathing... is it open mouth breathing?  What is the resting respiration rate?

        Laurie

        ________________________________
        Baxters breathing did get worse so I took him into the emergency vet. They told me he is not in CHF and no sound of fluid on the lungs. Only explanation he gave was that Baxter is having arythmias and sent me home. From what I have read is that cats commonly have irregular heartbeat especially when stressed. Im now home and Baxter is wheezing, very labored breathing and overall unhappy not feeling well look on his face.

        I don't know what to do. Im going to try and get hold of my regular vet today but not sure if ill have any luck. Im on the boarder of calling the in home euthanasia vet because he just looks so miserable.

        He is still eating his treats with meds inside.

        1.25mg enalapril AM/PM
        12.5mg furosimide am/pm and 6.25mg at noon.

        > Hi Rose
        >
        > Any change in breathing rate or quality is a red flag. I would get to the
        > vet or cardiologist as soon as possible after giving extra lasix . Can you
        > tell us what doses he is on of enalapril and lasix? I would not increase the
        > enalapril without talking to the vet. He may need another medication added
        > , an increase in diuretic or the addtion of a second diuretic, but the
        > best person to fix that is the cardiologist.
        >
        > Lyn

      • rosemairew20
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 24 7:47 AM
          The vet said it was 60bpma and heartrate 220bpm. At home he has been in the 50 to 60 range. He averages 30 to 40 and upper 20s on a good day. He's not open mouth breathing but even when he was in full CHF he never opened mouth to breath. His diaphragm it leaping in and out when he breaths like an inch high then dropping an inch.

          Honestly I think the vet I saw doesn't like me. He is the same one that insisted I euthanise baxter in january when be had saddle thrombus. Even tonight he was sawing that this and saddle thrombus would happen again. It felt like he just wants to put the animal down if it has a incurable illness. I know death is inevitable but I don't want it to be premature.

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Stead <kittykatwhiskas@...> wrote:

          > I am shocked they would release Baxter with labored breathing, regardless of cause.  Is there another emergency vet in the area?  I know you don't want to stress him out, but you have to figure out the cause to remedy it.  I am surprised he is eating with troubled breathing... is it open mouth breathing?  What is the resting respiration rate?
          >
          > Laurie
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Laurie Stead
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 24 7:51 AM
            I would demand to see another doctor and report him.  That is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard.  You are right to want to get Baxter help.  That breathing is not normal and Baxter should have never been sent home.

            Baxter should be taking something like Plavix to prevent blood clotting leading to saddle thrombus.

            Laurie

            ________________________________
            The vet said it was 60bpma and heartrate 220bpm. At home he has been in the 50 to 60 range. He averages 30 to 40 and upper 20s on a good day. He's not open mouth breathing but even when he was in full CHF he never opened mouth to breath. His diaphragm it leaping in and out when he breaths like an inch high then dropping an inch.

            Honestly I think the vet I saw doesn't like me. He is the same one that insisted I euthanise baxter in january when be had saddle thrombus. Even tonight he was sawing that this and saddle thrombus would happen again. It felt like he just wants to put the animal down if it has a incurable illness. I know death is inevitable but I don't want it to be premature.

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Stead <kittykatwhiskas@...> wrote:

            > I am shocked they would release Baxter with labored breathing, regardless of cause.  Is there another emergency vet in the area?  I know you don't want to stress him out, but you have to figure out the cause to remedy it.  I am surprised he is eating with troubled breathing... is it open mouth breathing?  What is the resting respiration rate?
            >
            > Laurie
            >

            > ________________________________

          • Christina Felty
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 24 8:06 AM
              Did he take X-rays? My vet could not hear any abnormal sounds in the lungs but could see fluid building in the X-rays.

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Mar 24, 2013, at 10:09 AM, rosemairew20 <rosemariewentz@...> wrote:

              > Baxters breathing did get worse so I took him into the emergency vet. They told me he is not in CHF and no sound of fluid on the lungs. Only explanation he gave was that Baxter is having arythmias and sent me home. From what I have read is that cats commonly have irregular heartbeat especially when stressed. Im now home and Baxter is wheezing, very labored breathing and overall unhappy not feeling well look on his face.
              >
              > I don't know what to do. Im going to try and get hold of my regular vet today but not sure if ill have any luck. Im on the boarder of calling the in home euthanasia vet because he just looks so miserable.
              >
              > He is still eating his treats with meds inside.
              >
              > 1.25mg enalapril AM/PM
              > 12.5mg furosimide am/pm and 6.25mg at noon.
              >
              > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, elfinmyst@... wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Rose
              > >
              > > Any change in breathing rate or quality is a red flag. I would get to the
              > > vet or cardiologist as soon as possible after giving extra lasix . Can you
              > > tell us what doses he is on of enalapril and lasix? I would not increase the
              > > enalapril without talking to the vet. He may need another medication added
              > > , an increase in diuretic or the addtion of a second diuretic, but the
              > > best person to fix that is the cardiologist.
              > >
              > > Lyn
              > >
              > > _www.myfurkids.co.uk_ (http://www.myfurkids.co.uk/)

            • elfinmyst
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 24 8:15 AM
                Hi

                I agree, fluid isn't always heard on a stethoscope. And from your
                description he has fluid in his lungs and it is an emergency. Can you see another
                vet for an urgent second opinion? He should be on oxygen with iIV lasix now.

              • rosemairew20
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 24 8:43 PM
                  The emergency vet did say that if there was fluid pressing against the outside of the lungs the only way to know is with an xray. He also said we could run all kinds of tests but we know he has CHF and felt that this was "just progression of the disease."

                  I called my regular vet today as they have a wildlife rescue as well and they have someone there everyday from 9am-5pm. I told them what was going on and how the emergency vet didn't provide me with any help.

                  My vet is so awesome she came in today (Sunday) just to see Baxter. She too heard no fluid and felt around his lungs and couldn't feel and fluid either. Since he has had 4 clot events int he last 9 days she felt that a clot was probably lodged in his lungs. She said his breathing was shallow and at 84bpm, heart rate was 150bpm and she heard no arrhythmia. We did another DMSO treatment to break up the clot and he is on bed rest. That was at 11am, by 3 pm he was sleeping soundly and breathing normal again with long slow breaths. When he wakes up he does had teh faster breathing but no where new as labored or as fast as it was last night and this morning. He's still feeling pretty crappy from the DMSO but that should go away in a day or two.

                  But he's still not drinking much and only eating a little bit, really the most he has eaten is the treats I put his meds into. I'm grateful he is still eating his meds, I don't want to stress him out anymore.

                  I'm hoping he will be back to his old self in a few days. But I am worried that if he is still not feeling well later this week I may need to make the extremely hard decision. I hope it won't come to that.

                  My vet does want to get a second opinion from another cardiologist. Right now we have no answers as to what caused or type of CHF my Baxter has. Its "unclassified", the heart walls are thin, no murmur and valves are functioning and not letting blood flow backwards, and the left atrium is enlarged. We just don't know what we are treating for, its so frustrating not knowing if this was a birth defect, damage from a disease like Bartonella, etc.

                  I should create a post asking if anyone else has Unclassified CHF I'd be interested to know their experiences.