Cat diagnosed with HCM today

  • kelle.watts
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23 5:50 PM
      Hi there. My name is Kelle and my cat's name is Sammy. He is a 9 year old grey and white tuxedo cat. We went to the vet this morning for his annual check up. The vet found a grade 4 heart murmur that wasn't there last year. She did an EKG which confirmed the beginning stages of HCM.

      She said that there aren't any meds that have been consistently shown to improve the condition. Additionally he's extremely difficult to medicate. She wants me to monitor his breathing and if it gets labored, bring him in for lasiks.

      I have decided that I am going to change the food he eats to a better brand. He's eating generic cat food currently and I want to do all I can to help him live as long as possible. I had heard that Wysong has an extremely low salt option. He won't eat raw, I've tried that before.

      My head is spinning a little right now. I am not willing to just throw up my hands and say there's nothing I can do. If anyone has suggestions about foods that are best for cats with HCM please share. Also if anyone has experience with treatment plans, holistic or traditional, please share as well.

      Please keep in mind that Sammy is very difficult to medicate or handle in any way. He has to be sedated to go to the vet so a treatment plan that required a lot of frequent vet visits or invasive home treatments might be too stressful for both of us.

      Thank you!
      Kelle and Sammy
    • rosemairew20
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 23 9:42 PM
        Kelley,

        You may want to try a prescription renal failure diet as it is low in salt. Also Wellness brand cat food it supposed to have almost no salt, you can call a company and inquire about the salt content of their food. Below .37 is good. Wet food is also the best way to go.

        Also a good brand of salmon oil help thin the blood and help the heart. CoQ10 is another thing that strengthens the heart, 50mg per day. For blood clots and saddle thrombus my vet mixed DMSO and saline and does and injection into my cats veins. This broke up the clot that had paralyzed him and he is walking again.

        That's all I know of holistic aids for heart disease.

        If u do have to medicate try crushing the pills and mixing in wet food. I dig a hole into dehydrated chicken treats and 1/2 the pill in each one, my cat gobbles them right up.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "kelle.watts" <kelle.watts@...> wrote:

        > Hi there. My name is Kelle and my cat's name is Sammy. He is a 9 year old grey and white tuxedo cat. We went to the vet this morning for his annual check up. The vet found a grade 4 heart murmur that wasn't there last year. She did an EKG which confirmed the beginning stages of HCM.
        >
        > She said that there aren't any meds that have been consistently shown to improve the condition. Additionally he's extremely difficult to medicate. She wants me to monitor his breathing and if it gets labored, bring him in for lasiks.
        >
        > I have decided that I am going to change the food he eats to a better brand. He's eating generic cat food currently and I want to do all I can to help him live as long as possible. I had heard that Wysong has an extremely low salt option. He won't eat raw, I've tried that before.
        >
        > My head is spinning a little right now. I am not willing to just throw up my hands and say there's nothing I can do. If anyone has suggestions about foods that are best for cats with HCM please share. Also if anyone has experience with treatment plans, holistic or traditional, please share as well.
        >
        > Please keep in mind that Sammy is very difficult to medicate or handle in any way. He has to be sedated to go to the vet so a treatment plan that required a lot of frequent vet visits or invasive home treatments might be too stressful for both of us.
        >
        > Thank you!
        > Kelle and Sammy

      • elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 24 3:11 AM
          Hi Kelle

          I strongly advise you to take him to the cardiologist, even under sedation.
          An ultrasound of the heart is the gold standard and would tell you exactly
          what is wrong and waht treatment he needs. Some heart tablets like
          vetmedin and fortekor come as beef flavour and are like treats, or can be given as
          a beefy liquid which can be added to a drink of milk or tuna juice. The
          cardiologist would take all this into consideration.

          A grade 4 murmur is serious. If he is entering heart failure, it needs
          treatment. Although there is no real evidence HCM can be improved, there are
          many drugs that can stabilise it, my kitten was diagnosed at 3 months old and
          has been taking drugs for nearly 7 years despite being given only a few
          months to live.

          Count his breathing as he is asleep. Find the normal pattern. Any increase
          can suggest heart failure. Up tp 30 a minute is normal, 30+ concern and 40+
          an emergency.