Re: [FH] Liquid medicine

  • Lynda Doty
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22 8:02 PM
      If I don't give it to her all at one time, --give several squirts ---I'm afraid she will spit the
      food/medicine out--

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Blessings,Lynda, Martha, Morelli and Angel C.B.

      Give a little let her swallow.  I do .5ml daily i do it in about 6-8 squirts in her mouth. There are good videos online but I can't link them on my phone.

    • Mary Sue Rubin
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 22 8:14 PM
        This is what worked for me. I first looked at many online video
        demonstrations. Some use very different techniques, but I picked the one
        that seemed the safest, easiest, and less likely to choke the cat.

        I'm right handed. Wrap the cat up in a towel like a burrito with only the
        head out. Put cat on lap and hold snuggly against body with left arm and
        left hand around the top of the cat's head like a handle. Sometimes holding
        the side of the head steady works. It depends on the cat. If the cat is
        especially docile you won't even need the towel. Take the syringe with the
        medicine in it and place the tip of the syringe between the lips against
        the teeth on the right side close to the corner of the cat's lips which is
        roughly just below the ear. Then squirt slowly. Don't put the syringe
        through the teeth inside the mouth which can cause choking when the medicine
        is squirted directly into the throat. After a few sloppy attempts on my part
        my cat and I got used to it and it became quite easy and quick. Sometimes I
        had to stroke her throat to make her swallow in between squirts.

        Another trick I use, but you'll have to check with the vet to see if it's
        okay, is to dilute the medicine with salt free chicken broth or thinned out
        pure meat baby food. That helps if the medicine is especially bad tasting
        and with the baby food it slows down the administration so there is less
        likelihood of choking.

        I hope this works with Martha.

        Mary Sue

        Can someone help me with giving liquid medicine to Martha-- Please?
        Blessings,Lynda, Martha, Morelli and Angel C.B.