Liquid medicine

  • Lynda Doty
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22, 2013
      Can someone help me with giving liquid medicine to Martha-- Please? I have never done it before and am afraid of her choking or drowning on the liquid. She will be getting 0.25 of Leukeran and also a couple of other meds, same dosage. I realize that is a small amount of liquid, but I've quite nervous about it. Thank you!

    • Lynda Doty
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 22, 2013
        If I don't give it to her all at one time, --give several squirts ---I'm afraid she will spit the
        food/medicine out--

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Blessings,Lynda, Martha, Morelli and Angel C.B.

        Give a little let her swallow.  I do .5ml daily i do it in about 6-8 squirts in her mouth. There are good videos online but I can't link them on my phone.

      • Mary Sue Rubin
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 22, 2013
          This is what worked for me. I first looked at many online video
          demonstrations. Some use very different techniques, but I picked the one
          that seemed the safest, easiest, and less likely to choke the cat.

          I'm right handed. Wrap the cat up in a towel like a burrito with only the
          head out. Put cat on lap and hold snuggly against body with left arm and
          left hand around the top of the cat's head like a handle. Sometimes holding
          the side of the head steady works. It depends on the cat. If the cat is
          especially docile you won't even need the towel. Take the syringe with the
          medicine in it and place the tip of the syringe between the lips against
          the teeth on the right side close to the corner of the cat's lips which is
          roughly just below the ear. Then squirt slowly. Don't put the syringe
          through the teeth inside the mouth which can cause choking when the medicine
          is squirted directly into the throat. After a few sloppy attempts on my part
          my cat and I got used to it and it became quite easy and quick. Sometimes I
          had to stroke her throat to make her swallow in between squirts.

          Another trick I use, but you'll have to check with the vet to see if it's
          okay, is to dilute the medicine with salt free chicken broth or thinned out
          pure meat baby food. That helps if the medicine is especially bad tasting
          and with the baby food it slows down the administration so there is less
          likelihood of choking.

          I hope this works with Martha.

          Mary Sue