Zeke starting Furosemide

  • Janette
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 21 10:33 AM
      Too Zeke in for his check up and blood work. He's had more labored breathing lately as well. Since Dec. he's lost 2 lbs. Vet detected fluid in his chest - first time so staring him on Furosemide. She injected him initially and I have pills for home. I'll know more on his bloodwork this afternoon. I noticed on the leaflett I got with the meds that it can have an interaction with benazepril - which Zeke is on. Is there a better diuretic that I should discuss with the vet? She said he's not in congestive heart failure and will start progressivly declining. I've been preparing myself for this, but it's not easy. Considering exactly 1 year ago he was diagnosed with early heart failure and vet expected he'd have about 6 months. I want him to be comfortable and quality of life. Any particular things I should be watching for? Only thing she mentionted to me was if he's open mouth breathing - he would need to go in and get put on oxygen.

      Thanks for this group and everyone in it.

      Janette
    • binarina1
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 21 12:55 PM
        Hi Janette,

        Look out for changes in respiratory rate, eating habits, hiding, sitting more in the hovercraft position, problems after exertion.

        They hide illness well, but it does become easier to pick up on changes once you get used to it.

        I'm unsure about the diuretic, but there are lots of knowledgable people on here, sure someone will be able to help you.

        All the best, Sara.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Janette" <jsquare@...> wrote:

        > Too Zeke in for his check up and blood work. He's had more labored breathing lately as well. Since Dec. he's lost 2 lbs. Vet detected fluid in his chest - first time so staring him on Furosemide. She injected him initially and I have pills for home. I'll know more on his bloodwork this afternoon. I noticed on the leaflett I got with the meds that it can have an interaction with benazepril - which Zeke is on. Is there a better diuretic that I should discuss with the vet? She said he's not in congestive heart failure and will start progressivly declining. I've been preparing myself for this, but it's not easy. Considering exactly 1 year ago he was diagnosed with early heart failure and vet expected he'd have about 6 months. I want him to be comfortable and quality of life. Any particular things I should be watching for? Only thing she mentionted to me was if he's open mouth breathing - he would need to go in and get put on oxygen.
        >
        > Thanks for this group and everyone in it.
        >
        > Janette

      • Mary Sue Rubin
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 21 12:57 PM
          Janette,

          I'm glad you asked that question. There is so much I still have to learn
          about my cat's heart failure.

          What I've read relating to human use of this drug is that combined the two
          can contribute to lowering blood pressure more than benazepril alone. My cat
          has been on both for about 8 weeks. Her blood pressure has been staying
          around 80, which is considered normal, though a little low for my comfort. I
          get her BP checked every 6-8 weeks or so when I get repeat blood work done.

          This I found on the Marvista site and relates specifically to cats

          :

          "Benazepril is commonly used in combination with diuretics, especially
          furosemide <http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_furosemide.html> . In this
          situation, monitoring kidney parameters is especially important as both
          these medications serve to decrease blood supply to the kidney as they
          support the heart. Should a heart failure crisis occur while a patient is on
          these two medications, it will become necessary to rely on the diuretic to
          resolve the crisis. High doses of diuretic are typically needed. This can
          potentially lead to kidney failure though there is no alternative when the
          heart is failing."

          "In heart failure patients, when benazepril is commonly given in conjunction
          with a diuretic (like furosemide), kidney parameters (BUN and Creatinine)
          should be measured prior to benazepril use, again 3-7 days after benazepril
          therapy has started, and periodically thereafter. Kidney function should
          also be rechecked after any dose change in the heart failure patient."

          "Benazepril is used in the treatment of high blood pressure
          <http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_high_blood_pressure.html> , in the
          treatment of congestive heart failure, and in the treatment of renal
          (kidney) protein-loss (such as glomerulonephritis). In the cat, amlodipine
          <http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_amlodipine_besylate.html> is felt to
          have more reliable effect in treating high blood pressure but if the cat
          also has renal protein-loss, then benazapril is generally preferred."

          I'm going to ask the cardiologist about amlodipine, though I'm guessing
          there is a good reason he prescribed benazepril instead. One of my other
          cats has been taking amlodipine for high blood pressure for several years
          with no apparent ill effects. She has idiopathic retinal detachment. Causing
          blindness. I am now a proponent of having BP checked periodically on all
          cats over the age of eight. Her retinal detachment could have been avoided.

          You should be checking breaths per minute. My cardiologist said 14-16 is
          great which is where my cat has been. She was around 20 after starting her
          meds. Once it gets close to 30 there is a crisis. It also partly depends on
          what the individual cats' normal BPM is. I certainly didn't know that for my
          cat. The guideline is to count breathes in a 15 second interval and then
          multiply by 4. I feel that counting for 30 and multiplying by 2 or counting
          for 60 seconds is more accurate. The cat should be at rest preferably
          sleeping. I do this when my cat is curled up in my lap while I am reading.

          I hope this helps. I'm sure those with more experience have plenty more to
          offer.

          Mary Sue

          staring him on Furosemide. I noticed on the leaflett I got with the meds
          that it can have an interaction with benazepril - which Zeke is on. Is there
          a better diuretic that I should discuss with the vet? She said he's not in
          congestive heart failure and will start progressivly declining. Any
          particular things I should be watching for? Only thing she mentionted to me
          was if he's open mouth breathing - he would need to go in and get put on
          oxygen.

          Janette

        • elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 21 3:07 PM
            HI

            All my cats have that combination and lasix is the best diuretic to remove
            fluid. It's a pretty standard combination.

            Count his breaths at rest, find what is normal. Count for 15 seconds whilst
            they are dozing and then times by 4. Note the quality of breathing, what's
            normal for Zeke. You are looking for open mouth, pulling in the tummy,
            sitting up and unable to lie comfortably, double breaths. up to 30 is normal,
            40+ emergency.

          • Janette
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 23 8:08 AM
              Zeke's blood sugar was 408. Now vet suspects diabetes on top of everything else. They wanted to test fructosomine and lab they sent blood work to doesn't do that so they had to have them send it back so they could send it elsewhere. Of course it's now the weekend so I'm not likely to get much in the way of answers. He's a bit weak on the legs. He seems to be breathing easier with the lasix. I'm concerned about having to wait till Monday should he need some insulin but I'm also afraid of the "low blood sugar" consequenses. I had a diabetic cat for years a long time ago. When her blood sugar got too low it was so scary and heartbreaking to deal with. I'm not sure what to do at this point, but I know he needs something. I'd hate to stress him out even further by dragging him back in today. He basically shut down (very stressed)when I had him in on Friday.
              Any ideas?
              Janette

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Janette" <jsquare@...> wrote:

              > Too Zeke in for his check up and blood work. He's had more labored breathing lately as well. Since Dec. he's lost 2 lbs. Vet detected fluid in his chest - first time so staring him on Furosemide. She injected him initially and I have pills for home. I'll know more on his bloodwork this afternoon. I noticed on the leaflett I got with the meds that it can have an interaction with benazepril - which Zeke is on. Is there a better diuretic that I should discuss with the vet? She said he's not in congestive heart failure and will start progressivly declining. I've been preparing myself for this, but it's not easy. Considering exactly 1 year ago he was diagnosed with early heart failure and vet expected he'd have about 6 months. I want him to be comfortable and quality of life. Any particular things I should be watching for? Only thing she mentionted to me was if he's open mouth breathing - he would need to go in and get put on oxygen.
              >
              > Thanks for this group and everyone in it.
              >
              > Janette

            • Christina Felty
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 23 8:18 AM
                I have a diabetic kitty who is on Lantus insulin. We test his ear for his sugar level every time we give insulin and at the halfway point of when it should be acting. If he acts funny we also test.

                We reward him with each ear prick with a freeze dried chicken breast treat which we call Fish. He knows the word (we used to feel freeze dried salmon but changed). It is not stressful at all and now my kitty is very well regulated. We rarely have hypo moments.

                I encourage lots of home testing it prevents hypo episodes so you can quickly give kitty a high carb treat.

                Sent from my iPhone