Fluids and HCM

  • Jean
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 19, 2013
      Does anyone on the forum have a cat with both pancreatitis and HCM? Harley has only the beginning stages of HCM and is on no medications as yet. I watch his breathing and it seems normal - about 24 to 26 breaths per minute at rest.

      For the pancreatitis he needs fluids and only has had a few. Fluids are part of the pancreatitis treatment but they are not so good for HCM cats. What should I do and what has anyone here done with a similar situation.

      Jean and Harley
    • Sarah Wadey
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 19, 2013
        Hi Jean & Harley,

        Although Ras doesn't have panc, he does have CRF & HCM.
        Like panc, fluids are good for CRF.
        We keep a close eye on Ras's hydration and only give small amounts of fluids when necessary. We will mix extra water in to his food, or syringe water into his mouth at the slightest sign of dehydration, although he is assist fed now so he is generally fine with hydration.
        Saying that he is having 60ml of fluids twice a week at the moment, but hasn't had fluids for 6 months until last week.

        It's all a balancing act as HCM wins over CRF, but it's also about QoL and it feels rubbish to be dehydrated.

        Are you using wet food?

        Best

        Sarah & Rascasse x