Re: Advice Please Cat with Congestion.

  • binarina1
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 19 2:59 AM
      Thanks Lyn. He's on everything already unfortunately. :(

      Vetmedin, Prilactone, Fortekor, frusemide, Asprin, Clopidogrel.

      I'm scared there's nothing left to try.

      Sara.

      > Hi
      >
      > You are right to contact the cardiologist. They may change the frequency of
      > frucimide or add spironolactone. You did well to react so quickly and give
      > the diuretic. He may need another drug to help the heart. When my Milli
      > went into heart failure, she had fortekor, then they added vetmedin and then
      > atenolol. Each time the new drug pulled her back and now she is stable.
      > Your boy may need a chest tap to clear the fluid if it is building up quickly,
      > I hope they find something for him soon.
      >
      > Vetmedin is not indicated for HCM cats but in a last resort Trixi took it
      > and it saved her life. I would recommend anyone try it if they are told
      > there is nothing else to do.
      >
      > Lyn

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 19 3:00 AM
        Hi

        What doses is he on? Some of them may be able to be increased. There is an
        option of atenolol possibly, but more likely a dose increase.

      • binarina1
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 19 3:15 AM
          2 x 20 mg Frusemide
          2 x 1.25mg Vetmedin (well cardisure)
          1 x 10 mg prilactone
          1 x 2.5 mg Fortekor
          1/4 of clopidogrel daily
          And a quarter of a 75mg asprin twice weekly.

          He's eating. Just had a fair bit, and obviously he's drinking lots because of the extra frusemide.

          > Hi
          >
          > What doses is he on? Some of them may be able to be increased. There is an
          > option of atenolol possibly, but more likely a dose increase.
          >
          > Lyn

        • elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 19 4:00 AM
            Hi

            Ok, there's room there to increase doses. All my cats have 5mg fortekor a
            day (either once or split into two doses) and a possibility to add a beta
            blocker. However, here is the risk of lowering bloodpressure. Trixi after her
            heart attack had.

            5mg frusemide ever 4 hours
            1.25 vetmedin twice daily
            5mg atenolol twice daily
            7mg spiro twice
            5mg fortekor twice daily
            + clopidog and aspirin.

            I hope they can find the correct dose for your boy. It might also help if
            the lasix was spread out more, it works for about 8 hours. Let us know what
            the cardiologist says.

          • binarina1
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 19 4:54 AM
              Thanks, that's made me feel a little more positive. I wasn't sure there was anything more to give.

              I'm waiting to hear back from the cardiologist. Hopefully she can jiggle the pills around. He's pretty stable at the moment. But then he only had 20mg of frusemide at 8am. He's due a dose at 12pm. But I think I'll hold off that for a while longer as he's had 60mg since midnight last night.

              I'm keeping everything crossed. He means the world to me.

              Sara

              and yes, I'll let you know what's said.