Advice Please Cat with Congestion.

  • binarina1
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 19, 2013
      After last week, when my cat spent 24 hours at the emergency vets it's been a bit of a rollercoaster really. We were overjoyed to find he had some improvement to his heart, he is in no way better, he never will be. But his scan definitely showed some improvement.

      Problem is he came back and he wouldn't eat. So I took him to the vets he had a vitamin C injection and Mirtazapine which worked a treat. He was eating really well, and seemed so much better. Until yesterday, I noticed him taking longer to climb the stairs, and his breathing was taking longer to recover afterwards. Later that night I couldn't hear his heart beat anymore as it was muffled by fluid. I could hear crackling and then he started to cough. I rang the emergency vets who said to give him another dose of frusemide. He picked up fairly quickly, ate, used the litter tray, drank. I could hear his heart beat again, which although it was fast, it wasn't really bad. But then 6 hours later his heart beat was muffled again. I knew he was getting congested again, so gave him another dose of frusemide (as I'd been advised to do).

      What I really would like to know is, has anyone been in this position before, he's already on 40mg of frusemide a day, is there anywhere to go from here? I'm petfrified that I am going to lose him. I've stayed up all night with him. I'm waiting to hear back from the cardiologist as to what she advises.

      He's only 10 and I'm absolutely heartbroken. I knew he wasn't getting better, but I had so much hope last week, and now I'm devastated.

      Thanks.
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 19, 2013
        Hi

        You are right to contact the cardiologist. They may change the frequency of
        frucimide or add spironolactone. You did well to react so quickly and give
        the diuretic. He may need another drug to help the heart. When my Milli
        went into heart failure, she had fortekor, then they added vetmedin and then
        atenolol. Each time the new drug pulled her back and now she is stable.
        Your boy may need a chest tap to clear the fluid if it is building up quickly,
        I hope they find something for him soon.

        Vetmedin is not indicated for HCM cats but in a last resort Trixi took it
        and it saved her life. I would recommend anyone try it if they are told
        there is nothing else to do.

      • binarina1
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 19, 2013
          Thanks Lyn. He's on everything already unfortunately. :(

          Vetmedin, Prilactone, Fortekor, frusemide, Asprin, Clopidogrel.

          I'm scared there's nothing left to try.

          Sara.

          > Hi
          >
          > You are right to contact the cardiologist. They may change the frequency of
          > frucimide or add spironolactone. You did well to react so quickly and give
          > the diuretic. He may need another drug to help the heart. When my Milli
          > went into heart failure, she had fortekor, then they added vetmedin and then
          > atenolol. Each time the new drug pulled her back and now she is stable.
          > Your boy may need a chest tap to clear the fluid if it is building up quickly,
          > I hope they find something for him soon.
          >
          > Vetmedin is not indicated for HCM cats but in a last resort Trixi took it
          > and it saved her life. I would recommend anyone try it if they are told
          > there is nothing else to do.
          >
          > Lyn

        • elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 19, 2013
            Hi

            What doses is he on? Some of them may be able to be increased. There is an
            option of atenolol possibly, but more likely a dose increase.

          • binarina1
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 19, 2013
              2 x 20 mg Frusemide
              2 x 1.25mg Vetmedin (well cardisure)
              1 x 10 mg prilactone
              1 x 2.5 mg Fortekor
              1/4 of clopidogrel daily
              And a quarter of a 75mg asprin twice weekly.

              He's eating. Just had a fair bit, and obviously he's drinking lots because of the extra frusemide.

              > Hi
              >
              > What doses is he on? Some of them may be able to be increased. There is an
              > option of atenolol possibly, but more likely a dose increase.
              >
              > Lyn

            • elfinmyst
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 19, 2013
                Hi

                Ok, there's room there to increase doses. All my cats have 5mg fortekor a
                day (either once or split into two doses) and a possibility to add a beta
                blocker. However, here is the risk of lowering bloodpressure. Trixi after her
                heart attack had.

                5mg frusemide ever 4 hours
                1.25 vetmedin twice daily
                5mg atenolol twice daily
                7mg spiro twice
                5mg fortekor twice daily
                + clopidog and aspirin.

                I hope they can find the correct dose for your boy. It might also help if
                the lasix was spread out more, it works for about 8 hours. Let us know what
                the cardiologist says.

              • binarina1
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 19, 2013
                  Thanks, that's made me feel a little more positive. I wasn't sure there was anything more to give.

                  I'm waiting to hear back from the cardiologist. Hopefully she can jiggle the pills around. He's pretty stable at the moment. But then he only had 20mg of frusemide at 8am. He's due a dose at 12pm. But I think I'll hold off that for a while longer as he's had 60mg since midnight last night.

                  I'm keeping everything crossed. He means the world to me.

                  Sara

                  and yes, I'll let you know what's said.